Official Q colours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Which are: 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Red Green Blue White Yellow

Personally I find problems with white and yellow so use the other three, as, for production colonies they are more than adequate.

In essence what I am saying is these colours are not writ in stone so use what suits your eyesight and all that is needed if you sell such a queen is to say this means she is from year x.

If you want to be official this is a neat aid: http://www.cheshire-bka.co.uk/Beekeeping/queencolours.php

PH

the one queen that I bought locally last year had a white spot, she is far easier to spot than the green marked queens in my other colonies.

If I need to know how old the queen is I can look in my records :)

Personally I find problems with white and yellow so use the other three, as, for production colonies they are more than adequate.

PH
Not having much experience in using all the colours yet, I intend to use the full range as 'prescribed'. However, I am already seeing colours that may give me issues (blue appears to be one) and if this is so, then like you, may resort to doing my 'own thing'.

We will see what happens, time will tell.

Taff, I agree, but sometimes OCD sets in with me and this area is a likely candidate for bringing that out in me. Personally, I would also like them numbered, sitting perfectly square on the thorax with all queens standing to attention during inspections. Will it help? does it matter? probably not. I think you are correct with your record keeping.

:cheers2:

Last edited:
I couldn`t find my Blue marked Queens last year so I`ve just opted white & yellow. I did think about putting a drawing pin in her and tracking her down with a metal detector but I`ve decided against it.

Darren.

I just use white and keep a records of which year they are from

There is also an 'orange' available as a non-year-specific marker. I've bought one but not used yet. Mine came from Thornes.

Pink Tipex serves me well !!, company bought a job lot of assorted unsold colours :)

John Wilkinson

ive always and always will keep to the colour coding, as i find it easier for me and any other beekeeper (including the bee inspector) who may visit my girls

Back