Off to the Heather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of bell out in the Mournes but none coming into my hives at the house here yet, planning to move the first of them over the weekend, the ling is still a while off here yet. No real colour on the hills but bell def out.

Pink tips showing on the heather around me, guessing another week before any flowers appear. I’ll be moving some this weekend or early next week.

Going to check the moors here in south Pennines this weekend. Weather predictions looking v unsettled still til mid Aug though.

Rosebay willow herb is looking bedraggled right now and the best flowers at the bottom gone over. Can tell from bees behaviours at my home apiary (1100 ft) and a field away from the heather there’s not much forage generally around. Think I’d be cautious about moving bees to the moors in the north for a couple of weeks, unless can keep a v close eye on re feed.

The flow has started 15 aug last 2 years and weather was better then in July - this year July been v poor with bees confined on the ‘tops’. Queen laying slowed too.

What do others think who are in the north?

Only thinking of you yesterday when I had a good view of the mountain from SWMBO's grandmother's house, I must say that it's looking the brownest and most barren I have seen it in years I'm hoping to try and get a closer look in the next week or so.
Like that here too. Brown and barren in places. I put that down to 3 factors -
Reports of heather beetle (feed on old shoots); v dry May & June; gamekeepers less able to manage the moors

Had to go to the castle today, so went over the mountain right past the heather.
All looking pretty brown on the Taircarn and the Drysgol any purpling I can discern is as much wishful thinking as anything else, not given up on it though as a few years now, all that has just changed overnight.

But warm, and getting drier and warmer! I'm there this weekend and will have a sniff.
Yes if it does improve next week as forecast it could be good. May even drop another few down if it looks like the spell of better weather will last! Although that was looking doubtful.

Yes if it does improve next week as forecast it could be good. May even drop another few down if it looks like the spell of better weather will last! Although that was looking doubtful.
The heather is looking good here not brown anyway, but no smell of heather in the hives as yet ,it’s going to be later this year I think it is holding of flowering the hills are starting to purple up though .
I’m going to be gutted if the flow doesn’t happen the colony’s have been prepared more so this season .

I am heading up to my girls this evening and expecting big things with all this lovely weather we are having here now.
Just home and no real big change from last week so it wasn't what I was expecting to find, although there was fresh nectar shaking out of the frames, its a tough tough gig!

Latest posts

Back