Odd Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Guys, all apart from one of my colonies produced lovely light coloured honey, one colony however produced this honey
udeze7a6.jpg

It's a reddy chestnut brown. Has anyone come across this before or am I looking at a 'man made' source of nectar? It has a rather odd and not particularly nice aroma, kind of pi55y. Flavour also odd but not unpalatable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it horse chesnut?

Roola

That's not 'natural' I agree itma above, and there have been similar cases in Lincs. Seems your bees have found something sugary dumped that contained food colouring

richard

I'd love to have attended that course, away unfortunately. I can't sell that honey, would you guys ditch it or feed it back to the bees for winter stores?

I'd love to know where it came from! My guess is horse chestnut but your problem is that it might be an annual thing. I would suggest you feed it back to the bees but if they don't use it all then you will be extracting it again next year! Would it not even be good for cooking? Fill your freezer with honey cakes, they use lots of honey!
E

It definately can't be horse chestnut as it came from a swarm colony and they brought it in over a week in late june/early July. It seemed to come in very quickly and then stop all of a sudden which made me suspicious. There is probably about 15lb of it.

would you guys ditch it or feed it back to the bees for winter stores?

Roola

I suggest you feed it back

I'm pretty sure it's a food colourant, have you looked around for a possible source?

richard

I've never seen anything like this myself, but I do remember an association meeting where someone was talking about a red honey. They thought they had a brood disease as there was a nasty smell comming from the hive, and when they extracted the honey had a strong red tint. The opinion was that the bees had been working dandelions.

If you do a google image search for dandelion honey, there are some that match the colour you've got. Also if you do a regular search for dandelion honey, some pages talk about a bad smell and a sharp 'burning' taste.

You might be interested in this class at Sittingbourne
http://ksrcbees.org.uk/?wpsc-product=microscopical-analysis-of-honey

wish it was closer. My honey so far this year is a bit odd.

Although still pale in colour, it tastes strong, and has an initial a 'bite' to it, and has a distinct fruity after taste, with a hint of maple.

I have tested it on a couple of my guinea pigs who both say after you have had the initial 'bite', it is very nice, but both asked me what I added to it. :-/

I've never seen anything like this myself, but I do remember an association meeting where someone was talking about a red honey. They thought they had a brood disease as there was a nasty smell comming from the hive, and when they extracted the honey had a strong red tint. The opinion was that the bees had been working dandelions.

If you do a google image search for dandelion honey, there are some that match the colour you've got. Also if you do a regular search for dandelion honey, some pages talk about a bad smell and a sharp 'burning' taste.

Dandelion honey is a yellow colour and granulates fairly quickly. It has a slight cheesy smell but tastes gorgeous. This was my main spring crop this year.

For all the trillions of dandelions here this year I didn't get a jot of honey. I was doing so much comb changing they turned them all into bright yellow wax.

Hi Itma
This looks interesting. But can appreciate timing issues for Roola. I wonder if there is some literature (book, leaflet, etc.) on how to do this. Also wonder if a basic USB microscope would be good enough quality.

Sally

I think our division has a microscope i could borrow... might be worth seeing if there is any pollen in it at all.

Hi Itma
wonder if a basic USB microscope would be good enough quality.

Sally

I must look into this as its something I would like to do. I think there are extraction and staining techniques to master and that you do need quite powerful resolution.

Hi Roola,
Sweet chestnut flowers in early July normally, but this year probably early. Found this on the net.
Chestnut

The colour varies from reddish to very dark amber; the aroma is characteristically strong, and the flavour typically bitter and long-lasting .A honey whose crystallization is slow, from fine to coarse, it is advised for people with problems of blood circulation, but at table it is unbeatable when sampled with a good, medium-aged pecorino. The bees harvest this honey, characteristic of the Farma-Merse Valleys, from mid-June to well through July.
Unquote
Any Italian deli should be able to tell you. It's supposed to be a delicacy albeit an acquired taste!
Sort it out when you come back as it is slow to crystalise. Have fun.

Back