October Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricBlueBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

On October the 7th while off work with a terrible cough and cold :puke: , about 5:00p.m i get a call from my friend who was driving home - "There's a man with a bee suit near the mini forest at the top of your road".

So i'm a new-in training beekeeper, with no bees or hives till next year, but i've already helped catch one swarm this year. I hobbled and coughed and spluttered up to the top to find my mentor, president of our BKA, collecting a swarm of bees. So i proceeded to help him. We had to use a cardboard box as he'd put his skeps away.

I then went home to die in bed. :ack2:

Has anyone else had a swarm this late in the year? :confused:

Hi EBB

A good experience for you. Not seen a swarm myself in September either.
Hpope you feel better soon!

I wouldn't give a new bee keeper a colony in October- very unfair. :confused: It will be difficult for an experienced keeper to bring through to the Spring. Maybe next Spring that chap could let you have some...:blush5:

If he's his mentor he will help him through.
If they survive he's off to a flying start next year.

Sorry i didn't explain it fully enough :)

The swarm was actually from an apiary of a member who had gone on holiday and his wife called my mentor that the bees had swarmed, so he was returning the swarm to its rightful owner.

The swarm i caught myself outside my neighbours house earlier in the year is mine. However they've swarmed 3 more times and my mentor has "allocated" them to me.

His plan, as the president and keeper of our association hives, is to train me up to look after them (i think there are about 10 - 14) so i'm not going to go without training and practice. Another swarm won't make a difference :)

. . . However they've swarmed 3 more times and my mentor has "allocated" them to me.

Don't you just love Carniolan bees . . . you will be realising why your mentor has "allocated" them to you. Don't get me wrong, lovely bees, but just a little too flighty for a comfortable life.

Latest posts

Back