Observation Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWEET

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Many Stocks
Afternoon,

Bar the Thorne option, are there any other Observation Hive suppliers in the UK?

Thanks
D

Thanks for links, it was more around the original design (vertical arrangement), I've found a place that builds hives, they created a 3 brood/1 supper version in oak, I've emailed them.

Failing that I'll build one.

Cheers both.

Just be aware they are very vulnerable to the cold.

PH

Thanks PH and something I had considered, can either install in my cabin/office or inside the house (library), need to look into noise issues also.

A Bespoke Observation Hive has appeared on the Thorne site!, looks nice.

Decided to have one custom made but on the fence regards single or double frames; does anyone have experience with this?

I'm making the assumption (and read) most of the actively will happen between the double frame setup which kind of makes the whole thing pointless.

So thinking of a 5/6 frame national stack as singles which provides plenty of comb to thrive.

Thoughts welcome.

A double frame provides a dark space for the queen and lo there she will reside. Useless.

I found in the past that a double brood and a super frame worked quite well. They can get over strong and so you need to work out how to take it outside and open it up to say remove honey or brood.

PH

Thanks, regards removing frames/management; I'm thinking double doors on one side to give reduced access for removal instead of opening the whole thing up and bee's spilling out.

Not with how that will work. When frames get over full, you will still need to replace them, those frames will have bees attached.

Indeed, so I'd remove them and stick into a nuc, the closed door should keep the other half of the hive enclosed.

Surely that would be better than a single open door? with the agro of bees climbing onto the doorframe.

I'll still have the single door on the other side if it turns out to be a crap idea.

Last edited:
Couple of images of the completed hive

5f5c97920bfb3847580d2f0a3bf9ab11-full.jpg

1cd4e0a77baf19e7214682e8a7aabb2c-full.jpg

Last edited:
The one I had resided on a window ledge with outside access so manipulations were easy enough. Disconect from the access and block the hive and pipe to the outside. Take outside do what ever, take back in and reconnect and thats it.

You get the odd bee in the room but they will go to the light and can be popped out the window to go forage and then return home.

KISS

PH

Now have to make one for myself as offered to take bees into a primary school, and if you do that make sure you can fix the unit to a large plank or ply so that in turn can be strapped to a table. It's frightening how much pressure a class of excited kids can exert. I make them with glass and then a gap and a sheet of perspex so there is a larger margin of safety.

Back