Observation Hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
I have it in mind to build an indoor observation hive.

1. Should I take a frame of capped brood and some bees from one of my hives, and create their own queen?

2. Get some new bees and a queen from somewhere else on the thinking that my bees might not stop in the observation hive but just go back to thier old hive because the entrance will be in the same garden where they came from.

3. or is it too late in the season to start this?

4. Just sit and watch what I have thro the window when it gets too cold to sit outside?

Sorry can't advise but just had to say that I know somebody who has an observation hive built into their bedroom wall right next to the bed
How cool is that :biggrinjester:

Honey I assume.

Bees might be put off by having to watch people re-populating the planet..

all thos little eyes watching you !!! :0)

I have it in mind to build an indoor observation hive.

1. Should I take a frame of capped brood and some bees from one of my hives, and create their own queen?

2. Get some new bees and a queen from somewhere else on the thinking that my bees might not stop in the observation hive but just go back to thier old hive because the entrance will be in the same garden where they came from.

3. or is it too late in the season to start this?

4. Just sit and watch what I have thro the window when it gets too cold to sit outside?

I am also looking into making an observation hive for next year and although a good bit more research to do I think you are to late to start now and perhaps overwintering one may not be advised.

What I have learned is they can be a bit fiddly to manage and the hive will need constructing in a way so you can move it for manipulations.

If you research the net you will see plenty of information from the US.

Was thinking of fitting it with lift off hinges, which would also allow it to be moved at right angles away from the wall.

I could take them on holiday in the motorhome....

Think of the orientation noise...

Pilote owner here... LOL

PH

Lois - I think hoomin-erra means not get any nookie.

It's too late to start a colony but you could move one 2 - 3 feet per day until it's in position.

Or buy another one!

Thanks for the link Roy I have seen the first one but not the 2nd that one looks like a good good example and I was glad to see the covers for the hive so the bees are not always exposed to the light.

Dishmop the motorhome is an interesting thought I live on a boat thankfully inland waterways and it has crossed my mind.

Started to build observation hive today,,,

just building a frame I told the wife...

Thoughts please. Observation hive nearly complete.

Have fitted a piece of 25mm inside diameter clear plastic pipe. Outside diameter is 30mm.

Am slowly drilling thro the window frame,,, (I feel like somebody trying to escape from prison) but its proving hard work with a hole cutter hacking thro 130mm of frame and sill. I am about halfway thro and thats as far as my cutter will go.(unless I fit a longer centre bit) My question is if I reduce the diameter of the entrance hole to approx 20mm.( I have a drill that size) whereby the bees would crawl for about 75mm thro the wood sill and then enter the plastic pipe... Would the 20 mm entrance be big enough?

before anybody suggest drilling from outside to join up,,, no, not possible.

I hope you have thought it through fully. :confused:

Are you planing on putting in a double gate type valve for when you need to access the hive, I assume you would take it outside first but if you leave an open tube through the wall bees will get into the room where you keep it as they return home, plus they will leave the hive when you disconnect the hose.

Looking at your picture of your hive personally I don't think it will be big enough before the queen becomes unable to lay, as 21 days worth of laying is a hell of a lot more than just 2 frames I would of thought even for a non-prolific queen. You may need to consider increasing the hive to at least 6 frames stacked in pairs to give them enough room or they will be constantly preparing to swarm and throw out tiny swarms several times a times a year or worse abscond on mass.

Finally they will need lots of ventilation or they are likely to suffer with heavy condensation and I hope you are prepared for the roar at night as well when they are all in the hive working 24 hours a day.

Don't get me wrong its a real nice idea and I would love to build and install one in my house but instead I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing further updates.

PS. A webcam would be good but as long as its not installed in your bedroom :blush5:

Good luck :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back