• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Observation Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Im still searching for an observation hive, does anyone have a good quality spare they may want to sell.
Just dont wish to pay Thornes prices.

How easy are they to adapt to one which allows the bees to come and go ?

Did you see that Thornes are perspex selling panel that can be used to replace one or more sides of a National? They have a door on so that the bees aren't in the light. They had them for supers and broods. I think they were less that ?35???

Ooh, no i didnt see that, is it on their website.

That would be great, you can watch the entrance and then see what goes on inside, i dont think i would go back into the house !!.

Do the bees ignore the fact that there is daylight where there shouldn't be - is their behaviour different.
I have one observation super -, but haven't used it yet - but am booked to give a couple of talks to gardening groups - if this super was on a hive it would give a better insight. All non beekeepers - it may encourage a newbie :drool5:

The Thornes perspex sides are covered with wood, which you remove to observe. If you leave clear perspex all the time it affects bee behaviour. You need to keep hive closed up (dark) most of the time

Did you have a look sweetums any good for you.

Latest posts

Back