Observation Hive Entrance - How Long?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bees-in-Art

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello Everyone,

I'm going to be making an observation hive. If I place it where I want to place it the entrance tube would be about 2 1/2 foot long and nearly vertical. Would the bees be able to cope with this?

Thanks,

Andrew

The short answer is yes, Ob hives often have very long entrances say leading out of a building via roofs and so on.

The only way to find out though is to try and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

What you might want to give even more consideration to is insulating the unit. Single frame (depth) obs have major heat issues. Mine was two brood frames high and one super frame. To be honest there is little point in having double frame obs as the queen will pretty much always be between the combs.

To manipulate them you have to be able to get the frames out easily and for that matter get the whole unit outside so as to work them.

PH

Thanks PH,

That's good, because we have a brick missing in the wall, perfect for the end of the tube, but is high up.

Would I be able to use a transparent tube - it would be great to see the bees going in and out? I don't know if I'd be able to find one - was thinking about 1 1/4" diameter.

Andrew

I have seen it used yes and I think it may even have been at the National Honey show but may be mistaken about that but no reason for it not to work provided there is a string threaded through it to give them grip on bends. :)

PH

Hi PH,

work provided there is a string threaded through it to give them grip on bends.

I did not realise that bees were into abseiling???????

Bees don't need string or any other concoction to help move around.
If they are on a flat surface with no indentations then the arolium comes into play. As the arolium secretes an adhesive liquid which exuded from the planta therefore giving the bees grip.

Rough surfaces they use the claws.

Regards;

I cant remember where i read it but it is recommended by at least one author.

I do remember seeing at on several obs at I think it was the National.

For sure there were no carbiners in use but the string was.

Was it needed I have no idea but the bees were using it. *shrug*

So I suspect that here we are both right, technically they do not need it, in practice they DO use it. would I install it on that basis? Err.. yes.

PH

Latest posts

Back