OAP C*** Up!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Please don’t ask why she did it but this is the mess that a fellow beekeeper found when she opened up her hive on Sunday. For some reason she removed three frames and put the winter candy in place of the three frames and you can see the resulting nightmare.:eek:

This is her excuse” Having the Brood frames at the bottom, and some stores in it, I had the shallows on top, but they never drew them - no Queen excluder in.... In the cold weather I thought I had better feed them some Candy - So, having heard that the Bees WILL NOT GO UP, AWAY from The QUEEN, I thought I would remove 3 shallow frames and put a box of candy on top of the Brood frames and the cluster. - So I did.”

She is very very sorry for what she has done and blames it on being a 65 year old OAP! :toetap05:

All suggestions greatly received about how to sort it out……?

On a separate note it’s the Brinsbury Auction this weekend – yippee!!! :hurray:

Hi,
If it were me, i'd cut out the brace comb the bees have built, put it into an ice cream container or similar, put super frames in their place, replace crownboard and put the ice cream container in an empty super in the top for the bees to access through the hole in the crownboard, they will recycle an awful lot of it, and within a week or two there should be some nice beeswax to take away. If the bees reconstruct it in the ice cream container, which I have seen them do, just take it away before they get too far.

its not the end of the world.

Chris

And we'll have a little less of the linking of OAP and c*** up in the same breath young man (or woman)! OAPs do not cause or ever have c*** ups - merely senior moments, usually caused by worrying about what the youngsters are up to!

And we'll have a little less of the linking of OAP and c*** up in the same breath young man (or woman)! OAPs do not cause or ever have c*** ups - merely senior moments, usually caused by worrying about what the youngsters are up to!
Oap+most oap medication makes c***ups a distant memory :smilielol5:

John Wilkinson

Cut it, bin it replace frames missing with foundation and let them get on with it. For goodness sake it's only a wee bit of brace comb.

PH

"Cut it, bin it replace frames missing with foundation and let them get on with it. For goodness sake it's only a wee bit of brace comb."

I have to say that was my first thought but i thought that was being a bit harsh. Maybe not now you have said that. Sounds a hell of a lot easier too :)

We did the same thing last year. Lacking an eke for apiguard, we pulled three frames from the super, and stuck the apiguard in. Then, we completely forgot to put the frames back. So on the first inspection this year, we lifted the crownboard, and realised there was a vast bit of brace comb attached, full of brood. Having put the QX back on, we left it until the brood hatched, then removed it and left it on the crownboard - the bees cleared in in a few days, and we have the beginnings of a wax bucket....

I'm an OA.Perisher, can't remember my last cock up.:smash:

Latest posts

Back