OA vapouriser.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige.Coll

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
some + a few more
Ok what is the best vapouriser for about 30 colonies ?
Trying with a varrox is driving me insane.
I tried 2 at a time and it's too slow.
I don't want to pre mix stuff I just want to sort it.
240v is available I have a jenny.

Varomor..... although the Vodka ( 96% ethanol)carrier may be expensive... although water can be used.
Also known as a fogger in Canada... my cousin uses a similar device, but said do not use "mineral oil" as sold at Wallmart?

Yeghes da

Google "Irish Bee Supplies" - they have two gas operated vaporisers advertised in "hygiene/disease" heading . I have no connection with supplier and I have had no experience of using either item, but have heard positive reports.

Sublimox. No brainer. Several on here have one, including me. How many have the other types mentioned.

Sublimox. No brainer. Several on here have one, including me. How many have the other types mentioned.

Sublimox for sure, I've used mine over 1000 times and it hasn't missed a beat, just needed to replace the O rings after a while

What would happen to the Sublimox if you were having to use Apibioxal?

Ok what is the best vapouriser for about 30 colonies ?
Trying with a varrox is driving me insane.
I tried 2 at a time and it's too slow.
I don't want to pre mix stuff I just want to sort it.
240v is available I have a jenny.

Why is it driving you insane?? for the 4 to 5 minutes total for the treatment on each hive, its not bad considering it does a good job. If your only treating 30 colonies consider yourself lucky, i have a lot more than that and agree its slow, but still very effective.
I too will be changing this summer to another but favour the Sublimox, . Much much quicker, but a fair bit to shell out.
Lots have used them for a while and their a proven machine, just keep working , ( Like Steve said) only the silicon seals around the porcelain rim of the OA pot that seem to need replacing. There isn't much else around as good as the Varrrox for the price.

233580d428579ddb6f3465e564b33c41.jpg

Going to give this a go with a blow lamp.

It's the heavy battery and waiting around that drives me insane. I want something that just does the job without having to wait about watching the stopwatch.
Ideally not mains operated or I'll have to drag a generator round too lol.
I'm just impatient.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Got to be a sublimox wouldn't use anything else i tried home made devices​ using hot air guns and the like and found them unreliable with to much recrystallization in the delivery tube

Got to be a sublimox wouldn't use anything else

One the advantages of the sublimox is the chamber is heated to the right temperature before you invert it and the OA then drops directly into the pre-heated chamber giving very rapid evaporation. With the pan and gas types you are heating the crystals up from cold which takes longer. They also need to be cooled before the next batch is added, whereas the sublimox regains the correct temp quickly and with the cap + next dose of OA being physically discrete from the evaporation chamber you can vape again, almost immediately.
Totally agree, I wouldn't use anything else at the moment.

Latest posts

Back