OA treatment - when?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

when are you giving your OA treatment

• Total voters
I have sublimated in the past. Thousands of others have, too. I considered it for a couple colonies this winter but decided against treatment.

I see no significance of the 'oxalic acid crystals' you have - you could spray sublimate or trickle, it makes no difference to the oxalic acid.

Plenty of references on the net to efficacy, if that is what you are asking? Oxalic acid kills varroa.

Yes they are effective in sublimating the oxalic acid, if that is your enquiry?

Mine is a home made sublimator -3 diesel engine glow plugs inserted into a machined aluminium base with a dish to retain the acid and holes to insert the plugs. Pretty (or not so pretty, in this case) simple affair, but it works - heat the oxalic acid and it first loses it's water of crystallisation then sublimes at 162 degrees Celsius; immediately (or almost) returns to a solid as a fog which permeates the hive. Job done.

Regards, RAB

RAB, did you manage to machine the aluminium thin enough to slip into a standard entrance ? anmd do you think three pugs are necessary ?

The th8rnes proprietry one was 150W so I made mine the same. Just a matter of time per treatment, so I expect 2 plugs would suffice.

Yes, it went into a 22mm entrance, by design, although I doubt it would be that important if only making one for treating very few colonies (crowbar comes to mind). Also holds the right amount (near enough) loose filled oxalic acid and scraped level. I may need to place it on an electrically insulated sheet if inserting onto an OMF!

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back