OA strips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Using Abelo OA strips this autumn, 4 in each hive for 6 weeks, anyone any views on their effectiveness... (for hive cleaning).
I used Apivar last year for varroa control.

Using Abelo OA strips this autumn, 4 in each hive for 6 weeks, anyone any views on their effectiveness... (for hive cleaning).

:unsure: So are you saying your going treatment free this year and just want nice bleached frames ?

Depends on your colonies and their varroa status. I used these last year and did no mid winter treatment. My friend tried them and was impressed with the results compared with his usual MAQS treatment and plans to use them again this year. He did an apibioxal trickle mid winter.
We don't have huge mite drops, he counted around 100 mites after application. That would be roughly equal with my highest single drop while doing OAV. It's a few years since I vaped my bees.

So you pays your money and you takes your choice. Use a licensed treatment like Apivar or an unlicensed treatment like Oxalic strips. Similar Oxalic application has worked well for Randy Oliver sometimes and sometimes not.
I wouldn't trust them if counts are not low

So you pays your money and you takes your choice. Use a licensed treatment like Apivar or an unlicensed treatment like Oxalic strips. Similar Oxalic application has worked well for Randy Oliver sometimes and sometimes not.
I wouldn't trust them if counts are not low
As well as the OA strips I will be Vaping. Last year I used apivar as my main Autumn treatment with some Vaping.

Hi
Could you use Oxalic Strips rather than Vaping?
The reason I’m asking 2 years ago I Vaped without any problems, last year after vaping I was sick as a dog. I’ve really lost confidence in vaping. Any advice would be helpful

Hi
Could you use Oxalic Strips rather than Vaping?
The reason I’m asking 2 years ago I Vaped without any problems, last year after vaping I was sick as a dog. I’ve really lost confidence in vaping. Any advice would be helpful

I understand your feelings and hope others deciding on OAV take great care with their own health. Observe the safety precautions with PPE, adequate filters fitted and regularly changed but even then use common sense and stay away from any clouds of the stuff. I always found I was holding my breath anyway despite the mask.
You could try the strips again, what is your mite load like? As I said, I wouldn't rely on these strips if you have one of those colonies that like to rear varroa.
My friend added strips a few days ago

I understand your feelings and hope others deciding on OAV take great care with their own health. Observe the safety precautions with PPE, adequate filters fitted and regularly changed but even then use common sense and stay away from any clouds of the stuff. I always found I was holding my breath anyway despite the mask.
You could try the strips again, what is your mite load like? As I said, I wouldn't rely on these strips if you have one of those colonies that like to rear varroa.
My friend added strips a few days ago
Thanks you the reply, I’ve bought new filters but thought the Oxalic strips from Abelo would be a quick fix. My mite load is small but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

I like the extended release offered by oxalic hive cleansing strips.
I

Similar treatment worked well for Randy Oliver in some apiaries but not others
I read somewhere that he was trialling some permanent placing?

Thanks you the reply, I’ve bought new filters but thought the Oxalic strips from Abelo would be a quick fix. My mite load is small but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
With a low number drop I'd be inclined towards the strips for the reason mbc gives. Follow them up in early spring and see how your colonies are coping.

Apitraz in now, bought loads very cheap.
Abelo cleansing strips March till first supers go on.
Worked well last spring with low counts throughout the year, with the odd exception of course.

Latest posts

Back