nutrition.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Finman,is pollen from ivy good for bee's regards protien ect,your the expert at these things. Also from rape.

I do not know ivy.
Rape is very good quality. Rape pollen is pecucilar because it has oil 7%.

Thank you,so at least i know this will be a good time to set the pollen traps,and then freeze for following spring use.

Nice link Finman,I have a book on honey from Rape,I plan on using 2 or 3 hives for rape honey next year to see if I can get a fast buildup.

Do I take the strongest colonies or a couple of weaker ones ?

Nice link Finman,I have a book on honey from Rape,I plan on using 2 or 3 hives for rape honey next year to see if I can get a fast buildup.

Do I take the strongest colonies or a couple of weaker ones ?

Rape field is dangerous to small colonies because bees fill combs in few days and then they swarm. If they do not swarm, pollen and nectar stuck brood cells and queen has not enough to lay.

Small colonies cannot grow more than they do. The limiting factor is after winter young nursing bees. When they get new nursing bees, limiting factor is night temperature and the cluster size which keep brood area warm in cold weathers. You cannot add it with feeding. The brood cycle is 21 days and you cannot fasten it.

I have made experiments with fast build up and it works well when you accept first some unexpected facts. However bees have maths, in which you cannot affect.

Lots of beekeepers do not take into account this simple maths, it is very easy, and also very important if you are building colonys to collect good surplus. You also need to know these times, when queen rearing in spring and when the first drones will be fertile.

Did you say that drones are not fertile until 45 days after they emerge? If true does that mean swarms are unlikely until 45 days after your first drones emerge.....is that some of the simple maths?

Drone from egg to emerging,24 days then min of 17 days to reach fertility,21 days is better. so 41 days to fertile drones from egg.You have to work your EARLY queen rearing from these times,later in year does not matter as you will have plenty of mature drones,but if doing II you need to know the age of selected drones.

Back