Numbered discs for beehives.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many should I buy?
The logic part of my brain says 10 for £4.95 but my parsimonious nature tells me I should get fifty for £14.75.
I would save your money and write the numbers on the side of the hives instead, spend the money on 4 cans of Guinness and a bottle of blackcurrant.

I would save your money and write the numbers on the side of the hives instead, spend the money on 4 cans of Guinness and a bottle of blackcurrant.

.....What?.....and send them to you? :laughing-smiley-004

Problem is even with my little lot, the hives are a bit like "Trigger's broom". So copying Stewart Spinks, I want to chuck one loose disc, on top of each crownboard, so that the number can follow the any box movements, or maybe the queen or any substitutions. I think that makes sense for the records I want to keep.

Problem is even with my little lot, the hives are a bit like "Trigger's broom". So copying Stewart Spinks, I want to chuck one loose disc, on top of each crownboard, so that the number can follow the any box movements, or maybe the queen or any substitutions. I think that makes sense for the records I want to keep.
Give your queens a name. Much easier to remember than a number

Are you intending on playing tiddlywinks?

How many should I buy?
The logic part of my brain says 10 for £4.95 but my parsimonious nature tells me I should get fifty for £14.75.
.......or should I just be done with it and commit to the full 300 for £88.00? But then wouldn't it be a shame to waste them? :laughing-smiley-004

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28243116...nYjeHj%2BOOHN0aT|clp:2334524|tkp:BFBMnvHcus5f
I bought some red and blue ones a few years back. The red ones have all faded badly.
I went for these when I got more colonies.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Z-100pcs...8&keywords=cattle+tags&qid=1642623270&sr=8-14

Give your queens a name. Much easier to remember than a number

.........I'm, not sure about that, it's queens 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 versus Alaska Thunderflip 5000, Bimini Bon Boulash, Conchita Wurst, Divina da Campo, Erickatoure Aviance and Farrah Moan. I would need labels bigger than the hives for that lot! ;)

.........I'm, not sure about that, it's queens 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 versus Alaska Thunderflip 5000, Bimini Bon Boulash, Conchita Wurst, Divina da Campo, Erickatoure Aviance and Farrah Moan. I would need labels bigger than the hives for that lot! ;)
When I first started my hives were named after Old Testament Matriarchs! 😀 I had plastic name plates made. IMG_1870.JPG

I want to chuck one loose disc, on top of each crownboard, so that the number can follow the any box movements
That's always the sensible way give each queen a number not each box, if the queen gets moved to another box, so does the number.
I have a small cup hook screwed on to every deep and a hole in each number tally so it's only a matter of hanging the queen's number on whatever box she's put in.

That's always the sensible way give each queen a number not each box, if the queen gets moved to another box, so does the number.
I have a small cup hook screwed on to every deep and a hole in each number tally so it's only a matter of hanging the queen's number on whatever box she's put in.
That's what I do for the queens but the boxes have the cattle markers

That's an excellent idea.(y)

Your logic is obviously dead (where is it - right).

Make your own? 3D print as many as you want, when you want. Buy an engraver and some tiddlywinks?

Give it some thought, if you are able to…

All my queen's have there own letters and numbers eg
Ls 01 hm01 wl01 RH 01 Sp01 F 01 these are apiary sites and I have a diary just for queen and hive numbers.
Hives have numbers wrote on them with perminent marker

Latest posts

Back