Number Plate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd watch that if I were you: remember, if it rolls down the road and ends up in someone else's garden, if they garage it then it's theirs!
:gnorsi:

Could do but if caught by police £40 fine, it was with the dvla auction, £450 no one else placed a bid :)

Could do but if caught by police £40 fine, it was with the dvla auction, £450 no one else placed a bid :)

the plate already looks illegal, writing on the bottom, no blue GB strip on side, no makers name, its £40 whatever, so go the whole hog
in 11 years of riding a bike, Ive only ever been stopped once for the number plate, fine and had to go to an mot shop to get ticket stamped to say proper size/writing had been put back on, well it was back on till I left the shop

the plate already looks illegal, writing on the bottom, no blue GB strip on side, no makers name,

My number plate has writing on the bottom, it's the name of the garage from which the car was bought and nowhere does it say who made the number plate. I've never thought about it, but, in case it's illegal, I looked at the DirectGov site, (which is meant to have the right rules). None of it seems to be against the law.

I'm surprised to read that you don't have to have a national or EU identifier if the car isn't taken to mainland Europe.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_181503

My number plate has writing on the bottom, it's the name of the garage from which the car was bought and nowhere does it say who made the number plate. I've never thought about it, but, in case it's illegal, I looked at the DirectGov site, (which is meant to have the right rules). None of it seems to be against the law.

I'm surprised to read that you don't have to have a national or EU identifier if the car isn't taken to mainland Europe.

I stand corrected, mine was probably cause it was a mars bar size plate

My number plate has writing on the bottom, it's the name of the garage from which the car was bought and nowhere does it say who made the number plate...

The dvla page is about buying new plates, not the full range of what is legal. Essentially it says get plates from a registered supplier and don't mess with them. There is a more detailed description on the pdf here. The full standard has details of the type face, materials, reflectivity and exact colour spec. Plates made before 2001 had more alternatives and cars made before 1973 can even have plates made up with the old style white or grey on black. The blue section is optional largely because there are thousands of agricultural vehicles, tracked road layers and other plant that are registered but unlikely to move more than a few miles on roads.

Looking at the original photo, the typeface and spacing look OK but the words should be the British standard and the manufacturer/supplier details, nothing else. It's often the car dealer name because they are also registered suppliers and it's advertising for them that would cost you to remove.

Some determined to keep their additions swap plates at MOT time, whether you get caught out at other times depends on how customised they are. A local sergeant told me that the usual routine for police is that they set up a checkpoint using mobile APNR. They pull over anything that shows up on the database as no MOT, insurance or tax disc plus anything that the APNR can't read until they have enough paperwork to occupy the next couple of days. The SWA 4M plate is APNR readable, it's unlikely to be noticed in itself but it could always be added to the paperwork if you're stopped for something else.

I was stopped by the police for having the incorrect spacing on a my private plate and they gave me a list of all the regulations that we have to comply with and its quite a lot.
I think they had a bad day as they said with a number plate like that their number plate recognition computer could not recognise it and I could be a terrorist….. perhaps a mistake but I said are terrorists that stupid they then decided to breathalyze me ok never hade one before and not a problem.
£60 fine and had to send photographic proof that I had changed it. A bit miffed as I work and live in an area where plenty of people have personalised plates and its sometimes hard to workout what they are supposed to be in the first place never mind what they are trying to say and all I had was a larger gap between a number and a letter but wrong all the same.

I can only advise from my own experience is NOT to drive through Somerset with that plate.

I was pulled on my Triumph motorcycle because the TRI ***H number plate as plod thought it may have been illegal ...... toffee nosed traffik cop !

I had had the yellow reflective rear numberplate made up with the BSAU 145d stamp as expecting to take the machine to Europe mainland where the police are very hot on pointless details.

I now have reverted to the Black and white non reflective plate the bike was supplied with in 1970 !

Strictly speaking, the plate is illegal (speaking as an ex-copper myself), as the plate needs to have the manufacturer's name on it and has to comply with specific measurements.

However... personally I'd never have pulled you over for it- the font is standard and readable and you haven't messed about with the 4 like some do, it's clear what it is. I think you needn't worry unless you have a very anal Black Rat (traffic police!) behind you!

I have a French driving licence and the police in the UK can’t put points on it, if I get a fine I can send them a chq in Euros.

Latest posts

Back