Nucs from EasyBee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I am honest.

I am blunt at times.

I bought from Mike Roberts yesterday two nucs and some 5 packages.

I can honestly say, having bought more than a few colonies of one sort or another in my time, in fact hundreds, that they are among the very best I have ever had.

I inspected them today and despite Mike telling me that they looked falsely strong as there had been a big hatch they were in fact on FOUR solid frames of brood and seriously needing more space.

An excellent buy and very quiet on the combs. I have no hesitation in recommending them for beginners.

The packages are a slightly different story. Four are very sweet tempered but one is a bit fiesty so they will need a closer look once they have settled for a week or so and the Queen is out her cage and laying.

Again though a good buy.

PH

PH, I think Mike should buy you a drink...I consider you to be a very trustworthy source of information and experience so that has to be a very good accolade for MrEasybee

Except for locally acquired -have only had queens from Mike- but the colonies they are in - well, people are impressed with the great behaviour of the hives - gentle and hard working - keep being asked to breed queens on from them to improve their hives (sorry Mike - really not going into competition, hee hee:):):)).

Nice one Mike, clear and to the point instructions.

I just noticed that your beautiful signature/logo has gone amiss I'll give Admin a heads-up to see if he can restore it or advise you.

Last edited:
We too got a working hive from EasyBee yesterday. We've just been over to see them, and they're clearly happy in their new home.

We didn't get to meet Mike yesterday (he was away), but his team were very helpful to a beginner, and we're delighted with our bees.

Mike, if you read this, hope to meet you next time.

Update

Well here we are one week on from the taking delivery of.

The five packages are now on four frames of brood. Open of course.

The two nucs were on four frames of brood and are now on 9 and 8 respectively.

The nine frame colony was bursting with bees so is now on a 2nd brood box.

Excellent progress.

PH

Methinks it's time to start a Mike Roberts appreciation society Pete, or maybe a new religion ( the established ones seem to be failing ) :grouphug:.

John Wilkinson

Sounds very promising!

I'm journeying M6/M5 from sunny Staffordshire on Tuesday next, to collect one of his £185 hives, plus bee's, of course.

I'll keep you informed.

John

A bit sharp John.

Folks want nucs, he has them, I bought as I need them and also to truthfully report how they go.

I also think he has been unfairly treated and as a business man myself I am giving a bit of support but not BIASED support. Unlike the condemnation he has received from some.

PH

Happy with EasyBee products ..

We purchased our two hives from Mike 10 days ago.
7 full frames of hardworking but placid bees - doing well.

Many Thanks Mike for your help and no nonsense advise - how can you question someone whose got all the experience Mike has?

Again very happy.

Well there seems to be lots of happy customers :cheers2:

Methinks it's time to start a Mike Roberts appreciation society Pete, or maybe a new religion ( the established ones seem to be failing ) :grouphug:.

John Wilkinson

If you want religion then try the "Lets try and put Easybee out of business by slandering him and getting folks to only use british queens and no imported queen made up Nucs"

I am not going to bigup Mike's products as I have never purchased from him but I have seen members hives that have purchased from him and they are good bees.

Just look at the member feedback who have purchased on here.

I might not be reading on the other side as often but am I right in thinking the big drive to create English Nucli colonies for sale next year has died a death?

I emailed the chap who seemed to be driving it on and that was the end of it.

I am intending, wintering permitting, to have for sale some Nucs next year. To which end I have invested in 15 "Canadian" poly nucs which I am in the process of filling up. Five are occupied so far and in another 8 weeks or so, all being well I will have enough brood to take off 15 nucs and supply them with mated queens. The current five by then will be in National hives and possibly even on double brood boxes but that remains to be seen.

So that is plan A.

Plan B is to run another batch of cells through the mini Nucs and see if I can get them through the winter like that. I hae ma doots but nothing ventured nothing gained.

If you want religion then try the "Lets try and put Easybee out of business by slandering him and getting folks to only use british queens and no imported queen made up Nucs"

I am not going to bigup Mike's products as I have never purchased from him but I have seen members hives that have purchased from him and they are good bees.

Just look at the member feedback who have purchased on here.
I'll try again, as my first response to this post failed to hit the thread/
Firstly , I was having a gentle poke at polyhive, (we go back a long way:svengo:.)
Suggesting he was being a little pychophantic :hat:.
I wish to make it quite clear that I have no wish to harm hinder impede or other wise impact on Mikes' business. I am no rival of his. I am a hobbyist who maintains a maximum of 6 hives (no where near that quantity this year :()
I hope this clears up any perceived animosity towards Mike, Pete of any other brother/sister/fellow beekeeper.
In the present situation with the weather, the mites , mismating etc. mutual help and understanding should be the order of the day.

Sincerely John Wilkinson

I have invested in 15 "Canadian" poly nucs QUOTE]

I would like to try to raise a few nucs. The beginners group has finished and they are all desperate for bees and there are no many to be had. Where did you get them please PH?

From Murray McGregor at Denrosa apiaries. A fast G will get you the number.

Mind they have to be modified for National. As in create an entrance and ventilation. Also a partition for the lugs to rest on which also makes a wee in house feeder.

Properly called Canadian Nucs. Langstroth frame.

PH

Thanks. I'm on Langstroths. Do you think there would be any demand for Langstroth nucs?

Latest posts

Back