Nuc'ed bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezshim

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all.
Very new bee keeper here,had my fist hive june last year, survived the winter and doing well , but they have just swarmed. I have managed to capture them in a nuc that I bought, and was wondering how long can I keep them in there until I get my new hive finished and ready for them.
The nuc has 5 frames in but I wont be able to fill new brood box with frames straight away will they be ok on just 5 in brood box.
Also is it ok to move them temporarily or wait till new b/box is finished and in final position.?

Congratulations on wintering your first hive. I started last winter and lost 1 of the 2 I had this spring with a good maple flow on. Put the nuc box in the same place as where you are going to place the new hive. Have they drawn out and filled the 5 foundations yet? You didn't say when you hived them. you should have at least a couple of weeks before they fill it, depending on how many bees are in it.
Jim

keep an eye on them. Check them every couple of weeks and see how close they are to drawing all 5 frames out. When all frames are in use then they will need moving. Till then no panic!
E

No problem with a dummy on a very temporary basis. No dummy and they may well be building wild comb. A decent prime swarm will very quickly draw a box of foundation - but it will depend on the weather, forage, etc.

Beware they do not abscond.

Welcome to the forum, btw

RAB

enrico,

A swarm filled a 14 x 12 box completely in three weeks last year - not just drawn but filled as well.

Regards, RAB

I caught them yesterday afternoon, there does seem quite a few bees but they would not keep still so to count them (groan) they have built quite a lot of comb already so I guess I had better get a move on. Is it ok to move them more than once?

Is it ok to move them more than once?

Please explain. Otherwise answers may not be pertinent.

RAB

They are not at the best place at moment being with my ex??? was going to bring them to my new house but this is up for sale so hopefully moving in the next few months.

They are not at the best place at moment being with my ex??? was going to bring them to my new house but this is up for sale so hopefully moving in the next few months.

Shouldn't be an issue. After all the flying bees change pretty well fortnightly, so unless they have a historian, the bees in the second move will know nothing of the first move.

RAB ... yep Maybe every couple of weeks was a week and a half too long... not thinking clearly!!!
E

It's only going to be about 1 1/2 miles away so will have find somewhere else.

Latest posts

Back