• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Nuc wanted in Sussex

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
Anyone selling nucs in sussex/ general south east, for next season?

Thanks, Ben P

Th*rne are not so distant; K*S down close to Hastings.......Weald Farm too far (probably one too far!)? Blue Bell Hill? Park beekeeping?

No connection whatever with any of them and wouldn't necessarily buy nucs from them (actually, I've never ever bought one), but just a list of names. Plenty more if you hunt around.

Regards, RAB

Thanks Guys,

I do know I can get them from Tho*nes easily; I was just wondering whether you knew of any local suppliers that might do a better deal. Thanks a lot Admin but I think Hampshire is a little too far.

Seems like Th*rnes is the best option. Don't want to do a colony split as mine seem to be genetically agressive.

Ben P

Thanks Guys,

Don't want to do a colony split as mine seem to be genetically agressive.

Another option would be to make a nuc and introduce a bought in mated queen, then you'd not be passing on any aggressive genes

The big emporiums are surely the resort of those that are not on an inside track through their local association members or knowledge of members or the forum that are selling nucs.

Emporiums don't make nucs, they buy them in. Keep the price down by cutting out the middle man.

Not wishing to be shot down in flames but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

why not requeen the existing hive,?
I have against all the best advice taken a nuc from a strong colony, with brood and a good shake, taken it 3+ miles away [aunties back garden] and introduce a bought in queen. Returning it to home a few weeks later for transfer to another hive.

meanwhile removed the old queen and introduced a new one to the original colony.

Now I'm in for it!.... let the drenching flood gates open
and critism flow.................

the strong colony were particularly nasty, bad tempered but very productive, but had originally been a quite passive colony.... why did they change... superceedure?
The orignal queen was not marked as I did not think it necessary and had been told that marking queens could get them rejected.

Ben, if you don't get one nearer, I'm in South London and can do you a Langstroth or a National nuc... but they will not be super early as they will be from queens I rear.

Hi Ben

Have you tried your local association?

Harold

I'd suggest that Paynes Bee Farms should be your first port of call. They are in Hassocks (Sussex). They only sell a limited quantity so I'd order early.

Adam

Thanks Adam,

I am regular customer at Payne's. Did not know they sold nuc's though. Better pay a visit to Hassocks soon!

Ben P

Thanks Adam,

I am regular customer at Payne's. Did not know they sold nuc's though. Better pay a visit to Hassocks soon!

Ben P

I think they sell a few. At least I think I remember one of our members buying one from them, and it surprised me, as they'd never done them previously so far as I recollect.

Adam

Nuc's !

Hi there, I happen to be married to one of "the paynes". they are just about to launch their new wait list for Nuc's so either call them or register online.
Its best to register early as last year they all went very early on !!!
Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back