Nuc to Hive - How to do it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandtpoultry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all can i ask for some advice please, a swarm was caught about 3 weeks ago and put in a 6 frame nuc box but believe it or not they have filled 4 1/2 frames so i was wondering how to move this to a hive? When i got a nuc before it had travelled so it was no problem but this time there is no travelling, so do i just put the hive where the nuc box is and transfer and hope they come back after foraging?

yep new hive in position of Nuc pop Nuc frames in hive, bees out will return to new hive....

Put frame of foundation then frames from the nuc into the hive in the same order, then one more of foundation and then dummy board until they draw most of the frames then add the other three to each side of that (or just three frames of foundation, your nuc then two frames of foundation, job done):)

On a related note - when do our experienced colleagues think is the point at which new nucs will stay as nucs for the winter? Have we passed that point already? I realise this will depend upon strength of colony and that something with five frames packed full of brood will be fit to expand further before the summer is out. obviously any really weak colonies will need either uniting with other colonies in due course (or perhaps running as two per brood box).

Latest posts

Back