Nuc style obs hive plans?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
Does anyone by any chance have a set of plans for an observation hive? I'm looking for the type that you can run as a nuc and just put up the frame with the queen on when required.

Similar to the photo

hive.png

I don’t know if they exist and then although similar slight variations do exist. The one in the photo is pretty but I don’t see that brood box staying outside with a colony in all weathers and looking like that for long , and a bit flawed in design if you ask me.

I could when I have time send you some photos of the one I made with a simple description but you will have to adjust the height for 14x12.

If you pm your email address I will try to do it this weekend.

Just to add I noticed from another thread that you are thinking of going into school’s with the observation hive and just to add it will have to be set so nothing can go wrong or little fingers will not be inquisitive, and when I made mine and a few others I had this in my head.

But it will go down well I have exhibited my OS hive on a couple of bee workshops and could have been talking about football as people are fascinated in the bees.

Last edited:
what flaws do you see tom, mine would be that the clasps look too easy to undo.

It's amazing the cost of a new obs hive from the commercial sellers - £350 don't see why so high - surely just a nuc brood and a roof with a slot/QX, a glass enclosure, roof and some clasps!!

Yes the clasps do look a bit suspect although they appear to have a sort of locking device I would sooner see something a bit more substantial that can fasten down tight.

The top may have locating lugs in the corners to keep it in place when sitting on the box (obviously top bee space but if not I bet a sidewise knock could cause the top to slip and gaps will appear.

If the bottom is a mesh floor as it will need to be for ventilation the hive will have to be propped up on pieces of wood, much better if it had some sort of feet especially as they have gone to so much trouble to make it look so nice. As it is it will be easy for someone to place it on a table and forget about the ventilation. Also not possible to see the top but I found especially after working one to have 3-4 holes say 30mm D drilled through the top and meshed from below and I could then fit pieces of foam and remove if the bees looked stressed and hot.

We are not shown the entrance and how they have blocked it and how secure that is from mistakes or small fingers.

They don’t show it in the photo but again better to have a system so as to cover the glass and a way of keeping it in place.

Just to add I don’t want to condemn the one in the photo I think it looks lovely and works well for the person who made it but for taking to schools and public spaces I would worry.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I will PM you later Tom, I only chose the photo in question as an example; I too have my doubts about the lovely finish lasting in the British climate and it obviously needs covers etc.

Is this better?

IMAG0022-e1327594864813.jpg

I think the photo in the OP was from a page that includes a Google sketchup plan for download (I realise these will probably be for Langstroths, but they should be easy to refine to take whatever you want). Try a Google search for Ulster Observation hive plans and its the top hit ... at the moment at least. The page also has details of a UK supplier of suitable fasteners. I've just purchased this type of hive from the big T and think a major weakness is the fasteners - they can't readily be locked. I'll be replacing them in due course with ones that take a zip tie or similar to provide secure closure. Finally I should add that the one available from T has reasonable ventilation ... a mesh floor, feet and three 25mm vents in the top panel.

Here's the link ... http://www.beehacker.com/wp/?page_id=888
I should have also added that a major omission with the offering from the big T is the absence of covers for the glass. However, the simple ply sheets many do supply gives little insulation to protect the Q, workers and brood in the upper chamber. I've built two blocks of polystyrene that fit snug up to the glass, providing both thermal and impact protection for travel and storage.

Finally I should add that the one available from T has reasonable ventilation ... a mesh floor, feet and three 25mm vents in the top panel.

I'll put on my flame-proof suit and emphasise the point of top ventilation. Saw one at a show yesterday which steamed up the inside of the glass quickly because it had no top ventilation... all that lovely moist warm air rising from the 'nuc' and hitting the cooler glass above. It took a lot of the 'observation' out of the observation hive...

I should have also added that a major omission with the offering from the big T is the absence of covers for the glass. However, the simple ply sheets many do supply gives little insulation to protect the Q, workers and brood in the upper chamber. I've built two blocks of polystyrene that fit snug up to the glass, providing both thermal and impact protection for travel and storage.

:yeahthat:

Latest posts

Back