nuc size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi
Can some one tell me the inside size for a
national nuc, in particular the width, (inside wall-5 national frames-inside wall)
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks
Keith

Depends if it is a 5 or 6 frame nuc actually. If you are making one allow 35mm for each frame and add a further 20mm. If making your own try for an outside size that will allow you to get 2 nucs under a standard roof it gives a great deal of flexability that way

Thats a good point sherwood. I've been making some nucs from various materials to see what I prefer. I've tried 9mm good ply, 9mm osb, 18mm cheap ply, 19mm cedar, and polystyrene.

Polystyrene seems good for overwintering a small colony of slow bees but it's neither cheap nor durable.

I can buy cedar flatpack nuc hive with floor, roof with metal, cover board and brood box for £30 in seconds grade, which I think is possibly the best all round solution.

However making your own is cheaper and for that I think 18mm cheap ply is best. You'll get at least two out of a sheet, or five from two sheets, which works out about £10 each nuc hive.

I have learned its useful to make them exactly the same size as a full size hive but only half the width. This alows you to put two nuc bbs on top of one normal bb and allow the bees to expand up into them, with one normal roof and cover board on.

Using the above philosophy, and national dimensions, this means they are 460mm (some say 461) x 230mm, and whatever height suits your frames (mine are 14x12) so 315mm seems to fit (separate floor with 20mm bee space).

So if you make them from 18mm ply the internal width is 194mm (Er, ... or as pete said 195mm).

BTW pete, do you use Sadolin quick-dry, or Sadolin Extra ?

JC.

p.s. atm I'm only in my 1st full year of beeking so I'm stronger on thinking about it than actually doing it successfully, but I've got four small colonies going now in 14x12 nats and am hoping to split them to eight and over-winter four as nucs. If I get that far I've an idea to make polythene bags full of poly beads to lag the outside of the nucs in case it gets v cold.

Why not bite the bullet and buy Poly nucs at £20. They will see you out.

PH

Hi Poly, the only poly nuc I've seen is the one from Park, and it's too soft and costs £46 + carriage.

Should I be considering an alternative ? gotta link ?

JC.

Hi Poly, the only poly nuc I've seen is the one from Park, and it's too soft and costs £46 + carriage.

Should I be considering an alternative ? gotta link ?

JC.

ditto lol, where are these poly nucs at £20? :)

Jez

These are the proper injection moulded nucs but they are "Canadian" which means some work is to be done to make them National size. I can post pics of how I do it, as I have umm some 10 or so now. By reason of the modding off them they end up with five frames National and a neat feeder inside too.

There is no link and I will make a call to see if they are still available.

PH

I have made 20 mating nucs from poly stores splitting industrianl boxes with table saw. Then make missing wall polystyrene board and glue it with polyurethane glue + screws.

They are splended. Nucs develope there quickly when they are warm. And light to handle.

Here poly store costs 13-15€. So you get 2-3 nucs.

3- frame nuc is good at the beginning, because you need not so much starter bees. Then pile 2 nucs, and you have 6-frame-nuc.

Frame parts are 0,5 €/frame.

Bottoms and covers I make from recycled material. I prefer wood.

Last edited:
Definitely agree its best to start with 3 frame nucs- only one brood frame needed and minimum bees- check she has mated and laying well then upgrade to a 5 or 6 frame nuc.
Last winter I divided some national brood boxes into 4 x 3 frame and 2 x six frame nucls- got the local timber yard to cut a 8' x 4' 18mm ply into 46cm lengths. All I had to do was cut the 46mm lengths into 22.5mm sections to make up the missing sides of the nucs.
The utility Brood boxes are £17.50 each and each 18mm side costs approx £1.00- A basic 3 frame nuc cost me £6.00 each- The floor and roofs were made from some free pallets and discarded 6mm ply which had previously been used for underfloor use.
The big advantage in using existing brood boxes is there is no worry about getting measurement and bee space right.

Hi Finman, that's very interesting, ..... what is a poly store ?? got any pics ??

JC.

I can buy cedar flatpack nuc hive with floor, roof with metal, cover board and brood box for £30 in seconds grade, which I think is possibly the best all round solution.

Hi JC,

Any chance of telling us where from? :D

Hi JC,

Any chance of telling us where from? :D

Club purchase, Birmingham Beekeeping Assoc. Supplied through the Apiary manager, John Magwick, Black Country Bee-keeping, Smethwick, W Mids. tel 0121 558 8623. I think that includes a members discount but worth you asking.

JC.

JCBrum - where are you buying these - sounds very interesting?

Latest posts

Back