Nuc Plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ahh!
Hi All,
I am thinking of raising some nucs in the comming year but would like to build my own. Does anyone know where i can get hold of some plans for doing this? 5 Frame National is what i am trying to build.

Cheers

Mark

A few members have made them from the video's that Hedgerow Pete has on the forum.

A plan here to get you started:

Nuc Box Plans

There is a video in the video section by HedgerowPete explaining how to make nuc boxes.

Or you could use plans for a national but just make it narrower.

Or you could start with a national and add divider boards to make two or more sections (eg semi-detached or terrace).

Better to go for stand alone nucs. Dividing Brood bodies tends to have a higher failure rate as some queens seem to more attractive than others and split boxes with two or three nucs in them often end up with but one.

Not the desired end result so bite the bullet now and make them individually, once built they should see you out.

PH

Thanks Admin (is that a 5 or 6 frame nuc?)and everyone else. HedgerowPete's video is for a 12X14 nuc box. Any plans for a standard national 5 frame nuc would still be appreciated, after all, you can’t have too many plans eh!...

Mark

Thanks Admin (is that a 5 or 6 frame nuc?)and everyone else. HedgerowPete's video is for a 12X14 nuc box. Any plans for a standard national 5 frame nuc would still be appreciated, after all, you can’t have too many plans eh!...

Mark

all you need to do is make them a little shorter, I cant remember the measurement off the top of my head but all I did was measure a standard frame and work out what measurement the box height needed to be.

all other dimensions are the same

That 195mm would be right Pete, 35mm per frame and 10mm each side.
That allows Macow to work out the internal width of a 6 frame nuc should he want one.

Always check the box's various lengths with the appropriate frame:

internal length will be the frame bottom bar length plus 7mm to 9mm beespace at each end.
inside the shoulders will be the top bar length plus 1mm clearance at each end.
The shoulder width is 460mm minus (the (top bar length plus 2mm) / 2)

The internal shoulder height is the top bar height (9mm) plus the height of the runner 6mm = 15mm.
The Nuc depth is the whole depth of the frame plus the thickness of the bottom plate (inset) plus 15mm to 25mm (frame bottom to floor distance)

I believe that the bee space on the floor is less critical and the extra height ensures that a pile of bees are less likely to be damaged by putting the frames in on top of them.

Using plans, always check that the figures stack up correctly and that appropriate bee spaces are maintained.

Any comments re my understanding or otherwise regarding the frame bottom to floor distance please?

Construction techniques and exact materials will of course vary.

Checkout HedgerowPete's fine video He's got the technique and I know how it should be but make em naturally squinty :)

I made a nuc box from Hedgerow's plans........As centimetres/millimetres mean nothing to me, I cut it all out and started to put together before I realised it was a bit deep :ack2: But I've found in my vast experience of these things that wood cuts nicely to a smaller size (it's not so good when you've already cut it too small though :) ) And once you have the proper measurments then you can make as many as you like.

I found the video easy to follow and eventually made a fine box. It hasn't been used as a nuc yet though...........it's great to sit on for a drink of water after an inspection on a hot day.......

Frisbee

It hasn't been used as a nuc yet though...........it's great to sit on for a drink of water after an inspection on a hot day.......

Or to dream about conducting a comparative test (wood v poly) sitting on the wooden one whilst drinking ice cold beer from the the poly nuc. :) :cheers2:

Back