Nuc makers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnybeegood

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
For any of the bigger equipment sellers, can someone tell me why they dont make Nucs with removable floors or even just the mesh floor? It would be so much easier to unite a nuc to a hive without needing spare BB's, all you would need is a board with a rectangular hole cut out to sit the nuc on.

I bought one of the Th@rne's poly nucs. The whole bottom panel knocks off, removing the entrance as well. Might be worth a try?

Do you mean the poly nucs? Wood nucs don't have fixed floors

Yes sorry i meant poly, i use Paynes poly nucs, i love them apart from this problem, it would make cleaning so much easier too, i would have thought they would be much easier to mould as seperate items, they could fit together like the top 14x12 Eke & supers do.

I bought one of the Th@rne's poly nucs. The whole bottom panel knocks off, removing the entrance as well. Might be worth a try?

I have two of these. Easy to pop the floor off and use to unite. Problem solved.
Cazza

Yes sorry i meant poly, i use Paynes poly nucs, i love them apart from this problem, it would make cleaning so much easier too, i would have thought they would be much easier to mould as seperate items, they could fit together like the top 14x12 Eke & supers do.

just buy yourself the paynes brood extension, that is open top and bottom, then when you want to unite with a hive, crown board with hole, and sit the frames out of the nuc into the brood extension on top of your crown board, simple

just buy yourself the paynes brood extension, that is open top and bottom, then when you want to unite with a hive, crown board with hole, and sit the frames out of the nuc into the brood extension on top of your crown board, simple

They dont do a brood extension, they do a 14x12 eke to extend the BB to that size frame, & they do supers but no extra BB as far as i know? I could probably put supers together to achieve a unite but if the bottom came off it would save transferring frames over & disturbing the bees so much.

Yes, agree should be removable floors.

Just thinking though, could adapt, could just cut out bottom section and fitt a clip to reinsert as necessary. Must try, should be easy.

How though when you sit polynuc say over national do you keep rain etc off crownboard, drape with plastic ?

Latest posts

Back