Nuc expansion rate?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I installed my first nuc (5 frames) into a hive (11 frames) and have fed them with 1:1 and candipolline gold to get them going (and also as the June gap is actually about now in Northern Ireland). The nuc was made up from a 2022 queen, so had only just capped the first new brood from this queen when I installed it. I can now see quite a few hatched cells and brood at all stages. In two weeks, they've pulled out one side and a bit of foundation. They've drunk 4L of 1:1 and maybe a tablespoon of candipolline. I had expected them to expand faster? Or does this seem about right?

Depends on so much!!..the queens laying new bees are emerging, if there’s plenty of stores hold back on the feed the candipol probably isn’t needed. The biggest factor would have been the amount of adult bees in the original set up.

In my limited experience, it seems as though things do go fairly slowly to begin with until a certain unknown critical mass is reached and then off they go like a rocket (although maybe a slightly slower rocket at this time of year compared to Spring). I'm assuming the 5 frames the nuc came with are all drawn out and that you have brood on 3 frames or more now? If so, things are good and they will get there.

Many thanks. The nuc was well covered with bees when I transferred it (flying bees out as it was a nice afternoon). There are indeed three frames of brood and a couple of stores. I'm wondering if they are actually limited for brood space, which is limiting the bees. They seem very docile, with no sign of any disease. So I guess, just wait for a bit and see! =)

In my limited experience, it seems as though things do go fairly slowly to begin with until a certain unknown critical mass is reached and then off they go like a rocket (although maybe a slightly slower rocket at this time of year compared to Spring). I'm assuming the 5 frames the nuc came with are all drawn out and that you have brood on 3 frames or more now? If so, things are good and they will get there.
This. It's about a critical mass of nurse bees. If they don't have this they can't rear significant quantities of brood until they gradually expand. Putting in a frame of ready to emerge brood can help boost this. If it's lots of bees but they're mostly older they can wind up foraging and pile in stores leaving little space to lay.

Many thanks. The nuc was well covered with bees when I transferred it (flying bees out as it was a nice afternoon). There are indeed three frames of brood...
If there's a good population in there & your weather is clement, I'd be tempted to take that sheet they've drawn out 1 side and a bit of and place it in the middle of the brood nest. That said if it's full of stores don't, in which case I'd put a frame with a full waxed sheet in there instead. That's what I do when I want to speed things up as the bees get onto it immediately and within a few days you'll likely see the first eggs being layed as it gets drawn out. You have a take a call on population and weather though.

Three frames of brood in a full-sized box is not that big. Someone had a nuc from me last week which had 6 frames of brood in a 6 frame box and was definitely ready for more space. As this is the beginners section, I would not suggest messing about with them but continue to feed steadily but not excessively, check weekly and see how they go. They will make space for brood in the combs of stores as and when they are ready.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not in any rush, so will just continue to feed them and see how they get on when some more nurse bees hatch.

Out of curiosity, when you say stores, does that include drawn comb with mostly nectar, or generally just frames of capped honey?

There only a small nuc pouring syrup on at this time of year will do little to help them if they have sufficient stores already, stores also include uncapped nectar/honey.Go have a look and judge for yourself. Given any half sensible weather there’s plenty out there atm

Capped honey is emergency rations and a full frame should see a colony good until next inspection. Open nectar and bee bread/pollen also required for making young bees.

Back