Nuc Development

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonjune

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Installed 5 frame nuc with queen 8 days ago, left with ambrosia and pollen pattie - just done first inspection and the bees have not yet drawn any of the 5 new frames - is this normal or should I be doing something different?
Weather has not been that great for 4 out of the 8 days. Many thanks.:cheers2:

I would have thought syrup in a frame feeder to help them on their way - they need to the syrup, or nectar, to draw comb.

Were there flying bees with the nuc? Or was it what I would call 'a thrown together nuc' and not have a balanced brood, all the product of the queen in the nuc?

So difficult to say. Not knowing the 'type' of nuc you have.

Giving a full box with foundation is not the best way to go, especially if they have to keep it warm instead of drawing comb. They need warmth to make wax.

Not quite sure what you are expecting in just a week - sorry 8 days.

RAB

Take extra frames off and reduce the hive room to the size of 5 frames. Use solid bottom and reduce the entrance to 2 inc.

i assume what finman is saying is that they are using all their energy keeping the brood warm in the poor weather, if so i agree could be the case

but its 27c here in SE so our beginbers nuc put in 10 days ago on 2litrs 1:1 and OSR, is drawing out all but the outer frame 1+10,11 and part drawn on 2 +9,, drawn and store going in0n 3+8 store and old brood frames full of m ixe old store, eggs and brood

i assume what finman is saying is that they are using all their energy keeping the brood warm

If they have not drawn in 8 days extra foundations, it is better to accept.

They start to draw them when they get more bees and are able to occupye.
No they just waste energy.

but its 27c here in SE so our beginbers nuc put in 10 days ago on 2litrs 1:1 and OSR, is drawing out all but the outer frame 1+10,11....

When we have a nuc or one box occupied by bees, drawing new combs is not a goal. On this level to maximize brood area is the first. When you feed with syrup and they get good yeild from nature, it means filling valuable cells with nectar and pollen.

This time of season brood area heat is the minimum factor for small colony

Looking the day temperature means nothing. Nights are cold and if weather turn rainy, temp is quite low again and it changes whenever.

Need positive thinking? - bees know nothing about it.

Finman is sooo right. Swarm colony last week is drawing comb quite nicely in a 14 x 12. No extra feed and there is already plenty of honey in the frames. I haven't counted frames just a cursory glance at the outer-most frames was enough to tell me it will need a super adding shortly (preferably a drawn super over a Q/E) - remember there is little brood to consume all the stores thus far collected (even if a lot (numbers) of brood, it is all less than about 3 days old so far and there will be no new bees for another couple of weeks - unless I add some hatching brood). One needs to take all this into account when weighing up the future needs of space, etc.

Back to the OP: I have not changed my thoughts and obviously am in agreement with Finman - except for his minimum factor. I know he is correct in what he means, but he would have been better to have written 'major', not 'minimum'. Just the translation, that is all.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back