Nuc and nat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggles

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
loads
How would one add a nuc to an other colony in a nat? I know I would have to knock off one queen and I could use news paper if it was two BB,s. But is there a way to put a nuc on a BB.

I have done a search honest

Pete

So I take it I put the nuc on top of the BB with paper in between, after removing the floor and with the roof of the hive on top.

Ta

Pete

yes. poke a couple of holes in the newspaper with your hive tool to start the process off. I have made a board the size of the brood box with a rectangular hole slightly smaller than the nuc. Then paper on BB, board on top of paper, nuc on top of board with floor removed. Makes the whole thing a bit more stable.

I would certainly not do it without newspaper. And you need to make small holes in the newspaper.

1/ Put the nuc into a brood box and unite with newspaper either above or below the stock.

Or

2/ Remove necessary (5?) quantity of frames from stock and shake off bees onto the front of the hive. Push all frames of stock to one side. Fit newsaper vertically as best as you can with use of drawing pins. Preferably, allow stock to settle for an hour. Carefully place nuc frames in the gap. Do this operation in the evening.

So I take it I put the nuc on top of the BB with paper in between, after removing the floor and with the roof of the hive on top.

No. I was not thinking exactly like that. Seem to be some risk with a half uncovered (open) brood box your way?

RAB

Latest posts

Back