Nuc absconding - can they be put back?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Hi, one of my dble nuc absconded today. I said absconded rather than swarmed as no Qcs were left behind and only about 100 bees and drones were left behind. Not enough to deal with the sealed brood. They settled in a tree and managed to catch them.

Could I put them back with the brood in a full hive with more room and perhaps move to another apiary?

Put them back with additional space, perhaps slip an excluder underneath for a day or 2…No longer

I've seen this absconding in nucleus colonies too many times. I found it most often occurs in hot humid weather, when they get crowded. They can't cool off their cavity so they have to leave. You're lucky they clustered nearby. Many I've witnessed, while occurring, flew away and never landed...with me in pursuit. The solution was to increase the cavity size so they could cool it off.

I've seen this absconding in nucleus colonies too many times. I found it most often occurs in hot humid weather, when they get crowded. They can't cool off their cavity so they have to leave. You're lucky they clustered nearby. Many I've witnessed, while occurring, flew away and never landed...with me in pursuit. The solution was to increase the cavity size so they could cool it off.
But yes, you can put them back together. You have to correct the issue...enlarge the cavity size...however you decide to do it. I increase the cavity size with nuc boxes, allowing them to move up vertically. You might put them in your full size hive. I don't think you need to move them to another apiary. Just give them more space so they can control the temperature, and check on them frequently over the next few weeks.

Hi, one of my dble nuc absconded today. I said absconded rather than swarmed as no Qcs were left behind and only about 100 bees and drones were left behind. Not enough to deal with the sealed brood. They settled in a tree and managed to catch them.

Could I put them back with the brood in a full hive with more room and perhaps move to another apiary?
I had one instance where I hived a small swarm outside my apiary fence into a national brood box. The following day they were all back on the branch I'd collected them from. Back in the box, following day back on the branch so back in the box again. Finally they stayed put.

Interestingly, I checked on them yesterday and they are making a few Qcs which makes me believe they swarmed rather than absconded. What is worrying is that they swarmed with 80% of the bees and no Qcs drawn. I also helped a neighbour yesterday whose hive swarmed. In checking the original hive, I only found 2 Qcs probably on day 5 and uncapped.

Latest posts

Back