Now Is The Chance To Have Your Say

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerNut

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I have arranged for a journalist to do an article on our side of BBKA/Bayer/pestercide/etc.

What's in it for us?

You get a chance to have your say on the subject and have it published in the national newspapers and online.

What's in it for them?

They sell the story, that's how they make a living.

They Are?

M&Y News Agency

How do I know they will be on our side?

One of the Company Directors, Alex Crook, is my son-in-law, and he thinks it's a good story. He wouldn't bother if he didn't think it will sell.

Have your say now!!!

There are many people on this forum who have strong views on these subjects, now is your chance to have that published without the BBKA moderating your views.

All those who wish to take part in this please PM me or email roy at jast dot co dot uk

This post has been approved by admin.

Yours Roy

Well done Ginger Nut - now tin hat on!
I will leave to the more eloquent, but I totally endorse their thoughts.

Initially BBKA 'got into bed with Bayer',after a cheap payoff, without asking for a consensus. Our delegate voted YES without consulting our Associations, for a start. We had no idea it was being discussed. Maybe we were at fault not reading the small print buried in the magazine, but too busy having lives, and caring for bees.

The 'safe' pesticides, endorsed by BBKA,:gnorsi: are only fairly safe if used on a wind free day, after the bees have returned to the hive for the day-some hope there!

Now wait for the big boys to write.
Thank you for the opportunity of right of reply. Hope it gets splattered over all.

Christmas just came early!:party:

Hi All,

I have arranged for a journalist to do an article on our side of BBKA/Bayer/pestercide/etc.

What's in it for us?

You get a chance to have your say on the subject and have it published in the national newspapers and online.

What's in it for them?

They sell the story, that's how they make a living.

They Are?

M&Y News Agency

How do I know they will be on our side?

One of the Company Directors, Alex Crook, is my son-in-law, and he thinks it's a good story. He wouldn't bother if he didn't think it will sell.

Have your say now!!!

There are many people on this forum who have strong views on these subjects, now is your chance to have that published without the BBKA moderating your views.

All those who wish to take part in this please PM me or email roy at jast dot co dot uk

This post has been approved by admin.

Yours Roy

BE VERY CAREFUL.
They will swamp you , taking loads of photographs and indeed print your story! End of story ? No No No!, subsequently ,when short of copy they will retrieve photographs from their archives and weave their own stories but suggest they are quoting yourself ! When you compain ,they will apologise verbally only to repeat the exercise again and again! In my case they have wrung 4 fictitious stories out of one interview :dupe:.

John Wilkinson

Have Your Say

A stroke of sheer genius GingerNut. I'll wait with baited breath to see what happens. I'm beginning to get alarm bells ringing with some of the things I've been reading about the BBKA which, had it not been for this forum I'd be non the wiser for.

Regards
BD

BE VERY CAREFUL.
They will swamp you , taking loads of photographs and indeed print your story! End of story ? No No No!, subsequently ,when short of copy they will retrieve photographs from their archives and weave their own stories but suggest they are quoting yourself ! When you compain ,they will apologise verbally only to repeat the exercise again and again! In my case they have wrung 4 fictitious stories out of one interview :dupe:.

John Wilkinson

There is a big difference here...............this is MY son-in-law.........and he doesn't take the piss :smash:

Yours Roy

Can you please ensure that these reams of text you are no doubt receiving are factual?

PH

balance is everything... I use permethrin to de flee the familly cat

balance is everything... I use permethrin to de flee the familly cat

Snap! And The worming tablet I shoved down his neck was made by Bayer!

But I still agree that Bayer and BBKA is wrong, there are many other analogies of e.g cats protect being sponsored by the local Vietnamese take away! And coke sponsoring a dental research program.

Biggest issue for me, is if you are going to sell your sole to the Devil, get a fair price. £10 Million + should have been the bottom line.

Or the subs should be a reasonable price in this day and age, £50 - £80 per year.

The story goes on! (again)

Last edited:
excuse me while I nurse a few cracked ribs (caused by laughing)- "make sure there's no fibs"..........:smilielol5::smilielol5:
hang on a tick here - we are talking in the context of some of the biggest cover-ups in the history of the western world by Big Agrochem (DDT, organophosphates to name but two), companies whose moral compass can be judged by some of their historical output (Zyklon B and Agent Orange).........
Then we have "Mugabe would be proud" democracy in what's supposed to be an independent association defending bees and beekeepers, who've sold out to those who will at the very least happily kill bees off in pursuit of profit (and I suspect FAR worse.........)
One could reasonably justify high levels of porkifying - but there's absolutely no need, the truth will be sufficiently unbelievable that I fear the main problem will be "toning it down a bit" to make it believable........ Members of the cast that make Mandelson look straight, major corporations behaving in ways that the X-files writers would turn down as too far-fetched to be used........

I agree with PH.

This article will be going up against the might of the BBKA/Bayer publicity machine which has shown how effective it can be. A well written calm article can only be a good thing, a very targetted anti bayer rant could end up doing far more harm than good.

Just my tuppence worth.

Si.

Pyrethroids toxic to queen bees: will Bayer admit they lied to us, and will the BBKA now withdraw their endorsement?

New research from China has shown that synthetic pyrethroids - the same chemicals (Bayvarol, Apistan) that we have been told to use in our hives against Varroa ever since it became a threat, and the very same chemicals that the British Bee Keepers Association cheerfully endorse as 'bee friendly' - are in fact toxic to bees and reduce the fertility of queens.

This immediately raises the questions: why was this research not done BEFORE we were told to use them in our hives? And if it was done, how were the manufacturers allowed to fudge and/or conceal the results for so long?

Is it because - in the words of Dr L R B Mann, who was for 12 years advisor on toxins to the New Zealand Ministry of Health, "the chemical industry is, as an historical tendency, a refuge for crooks"?

One of the substances under test was deltamethrin, the active ingredient in Decis, one of the BBKA-endorsed insecticides.

The researchers say, "Compared to queens receiving clean sugar water, those in the pyrethroid groups were substantially less fecund. For instance, clean queens in 2006 laid a little more than 1,200 eggs each day, compared to not quite 900 a day in the bifenthrin group and roughly 600 per day in the deltamethrin group."

"The success rate of hatchlings, that is the share that reached adulthood, varied from 75 to 95 percent in the control hive – making it between 20 and 40 percentage points higher than in hives where bees had been exposed to a pyrethroid."

The research team conclude, "The impact of pesticides on the colony may be severe."

Bayer say that Decis "...is unique in having only one isomer of deltamethrin and this is the optimum isomer for insecticidal activity. ...you can be sure that all the active ingredient you spray will be insecticidal. This is coupled with a long duration of activity, rapid knockdown and short pre-harvest intervals."

Dr Marianne Frazier concluded a recent Penn State report thus, "Unprecedented amounts of fluvalinate (up to 204 ppm) at high frequencies have been detected in brood nest wax, and pollen (bee bread). Changes in the formulation of fluvalinate resulting in a significant increase in toxicity to honey bees, makes this a serious concern."

So, we can conclude that either:

(a) Bayer has always known that Bayvarol would damage bees, and just lied about it while they made a nice profit from exploiting beekeepers, or

(b) they failed to conduct the necessary research before putting it on the market, and are thus guilty of fraud and negligence.

So, Bayer - which is it?

And will the BBKA now stop pretending that pyrethroids are somehow safe for bees, and clean up their act?

Link to article: Widely Used Pesticides Found to Impair Bee Reproduction http://tinyurl.com/yzm2let

Link to article: High Levels of Miticides and Agrochemicals in North American Apiaries: Implications for Honey Bee Health http://tinyurl.com/yg2gssg

Latest posts

Back