Now I know I am addicted...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
I was in the garden, and noticed 'something' drowning in a water gauge - so emptied it out to find one of mt girls - very soggy. So guess who made up a tea-spoon of sugar syrup and spoon fed her...sad...so very sad...

found 1 of mine drowning in my pond in the spring, so fished her out with a twig and placed her on a flower in the sun to dry out!! :)

Yep; bet we've all done similar. The efforts we go to to save just one.... When I have done so I have wondered whether they understand what has happened to them? I'd like to think they bond with us just as I feel bonded to them! Wouldn't want the medical profession to know, especially if they were assessing me for sanity!

I like to think my bees know me now. I talk to them, I tell them as I enter the enclosure " I'm the one who will be tending you so be nice to me and use your manners", worked so far, even yesterday when I was a little overwhelmed, it wasn't anything they were doing to me. Am I crazy? I also talk to the cat lol, but I know he understands, because he talks back. I've saved wet bees, even before I began bee keeping, but mostly bumbles :)

it makes you feel so pleased that you could save what would be imposible for her to get out without your help
LOL and i thought i was losing it when i saw one on her back soaked wet though and i saved her still she now in and out the hive Alan
:seeya:bee-smillie

You're all stark raving bonkers. Talking to bees indeed. Now, penguins, on the other hand....

I've just rescued a dozen walkers. Moved to top of spare hive with a lttle nourishment till they can decide if they ought to fly. Workers not drones.

Aha.....a little market for my soon to be patented beeturner.

I made it from a long bamboo stick and an old fish slice! I can now, from the comfort of my sitting room window, turn bees that land upside down on the flat hive roof in rainy weather; they land in the little puddles and stuggle to turn over......
I've rescued hundreds so far.

It is a very satisfying way to pass time when the weather is too inclement to 'play bees' in the normal way.

Sad?????

if my bees get excited when I'm inspecting I always say 'OK ladies, you can have your hive back in a minute'
Doesn't work.

Yep, I do that too - along with 'OK, what I'm going to do next is...' & 'Now, now - don't be nasty...' & 'oh, look aren't you clever girls?' Getting the picture yet??

so I'm not alone :D sounds just like me.

i try to rescue any i see. i found one in the feeder the last day on deaths door stuck on her back so i gently offered her my finger which she clung onto and i picked her up and moved her over the frames and hovered my finger just over the frame so she could get off and recover ....... she stung me. so now shes gunna die anyway. such a pity but i still try to save them.

i try to rescue any i see. i found one in the feeder the last day on deaths door stuck on her back so i gently offered her my finger which she clung onto and i picked her up and moved her over the frames and hovered my finger just over the frame so she could get off and recover ....... she stung me. so now shes gunna die anyway. such a pity but i still try to save them.

Oh dear, so that's the thanks you get lol, a throbbing finger :p

Ah. You need to acquire a little selection of twigs and sticks for rescuing and returning to home. Bees don't seem to find them threatening.

Ah. You need to acquire a little selection of twigs and sticks for rescuing and returning to home. Bees don't seem to find them threatening.

Lol, an image came to mind of you opening your coat, and a whole range of different sized twigs are neatly set in a pocket, selecting the right sized twig :p

Latest posts

Back