Novices - What lessons have you learned in the 2011?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my first solo (paired) swarms were fun - really enjoyed sweeping them down off the branch into the box in front of me (and all over me in the process).

1. When hiving your very first nuc check that the queen is still in there prior cutting any queen cells.

2. Don't spill sugar syrup on lawn.

3. Keep something under the smoker to catch any tar that comes out. Pop a stick in the smoker's nozzle to control the amount of smoke coming out of the thing.

I have learnt through bitter experience not to trust a certain big company and to make sure you get your bees from a trusted local source.

1. Think

2. No two years are the same

3. If all else fails, try common sense.

Do not go on holiday when OSR is in bloom, otherwise be prepared for a long day or two melting comb when you return :blush5:

I've learned that "Start with at least two hives in case something bad happens to one of them" means START with two, not get one and then plan to get another soon. Because one minus one = no bees.

I've learnt think ahead, have plenty of gear on standby and don't panic!

Doyour maths properly when calculating how much syrup you will need so that you don't end up with a 5 litre tub full unused at the end.

Also, concentrate when making the syrup and don't absent midedly measure the sugar in imperial and the water in metric... :(

And at the end of the season, make sure that I put my hive records in a safe place rather than just leaving them lying around.

Suspected current location of afor mentioned records: Council Paper Recycling Skip :(

Novices - What lessons have you learned in the 2011?

Lots of useful advice on here BUT...

That it's only worth reading the first four or five responses to a query on here, because after that it generally descends into a slanging match.

Probably best just to read and not post unless you are prepared to be shot down...

... puts on tin hat.

Noooooo read it all. Yes, there's some mud slinging but i love the way threads morph into others. Beekeeping essentials include a Landrover, preferably in orange and keeping quail has become a discussion about townie complaints of rural activity.
It's OK to hijack a thread too. It will eventually return to its original purpose or the hijacker will be ignored.
The BKF is a great place.

I've learned to trust one experienced bee keeper and ignore the myriad other contradictory opinions of other ones.

It's easier that way and far less stressful!

That stealing Queen cells from students nuclei is very common in local associations.

Agree on the volunteering bit.

If you give them a lawn-mower, build them a website, host it for nothing, give an hour and a half free tuition for week after week; they'll still behave appallingly.

If you're not in the clique you're not welcome.

BBG said:
That stealing Queen cells from students nuclei is very common in local associations.

Agree on the volunteering bit.

If you give them a lawn-mower, build them a website, host it for nothing, give an hour and a half free tuition for week after week; they'll still behave appallingly.

If you're not in the clique you're not welcome.

There's one guarantee in life, people will let you down.

I've learnt that the minute you think you are getting the hang of things, the bees or the weather throw you a difficult question/situation.

Latest posts

Back