Novice - Varroa Treatment during honey flow ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimy Dee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Folks

A novice beekeeper contacted me this weekend and to make a long story short he has had 2 hives of bees for over 12 months and never did any varroa treatment at all.

Is there anything he can do at this time of the year to treat his varroa keeping in mind that we are in the honey season and he has one super on each hive.

What about taking off the supers and vapourising the broods on their own, and a day later putting the supers back on? This is flawed because it will not get the bees in this supers.

I do not want to see his honey tainted with any treatment chemical and I am a bit stuck as to what to advise him right now.

All guidance welcome.

A novice beekeeper contacted me this weekend and to make a long story short he has had 2 hives of bees for over 12 months and never did any varroa treatment at all.

What is the current percentage of varroa infestation?

Cannot give you a percentage, but we briefly went through them and there was a good number of bees with deformed wings so I am presuming the hives are well infested. The hives are poor.

With my tin hat on I might suggest that if you have a vapouriser I would do it with supers on.
MAQS will work but there are reports of it killing queens. ONE strip ony

MAQS will work but there are reports of it killing queens. ONE strip ony

Queen losses will appear when out temps are over 25C.

Use trips according the recipe. And depends number of hive boxes.

And stuff needs 17C day temps.

Folks

Is there anything he can do at this time of the year to treat his varroa keeping in mind that we are in the honey season and he has one super on each hive.

What about taking off the supers and vapourising the broods on their own, and a day later putting the supers back on? This is flawed because it will not get the bees in this supers.

I do not want to see his honey tainted with any treatment chemical and I am a bit stuck as to what to advise him right now.

All guidance welcome.

It's not the vapour during the sublimation process but the deposited crystalline coating of oxalic acid that kills varroa. Hence as the bees move around inside the hive after the treatment they and any phoretic mites are exposed to the compound.
If you're really concerned not to apply the treatment to the super take it off for the brief period the applicator is in use then restore it.
The coating of crystals will remain effective for a few days but mites in sealed cells will emerge as the bee emerges. To kill these repeated applications over a mite lifecycle are required - normally three applications five days apart but some err on the side of safety and work on four applications five days apart.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. We might aim at removing supers and vapourising

Amitraz should work

You could consider using a specific acaricide.

Amitraz has a zero withdrawal period, so should be relatively "safe" to humans and IMHO is probably safer to the queen than formic acid.

It has various EU licenses, so should be obtainable through a veterinarian.

You could consider using a specific acaricide.

Amitraz has a zero withdrawal period, so should be relatively "safe" to humans and IMHO is probably safer to the queen than formic acid.

It has various EU licenses, so should be obtainable through a veterinarian.

:nono:I think that is why the Poles are using rhubarb leaves... as they are not allowed to use any compounds during honey supering?

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back