Not taking 50/50 syrup honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have been feeding my hives since late August and one in particular is not taking the feed down, I had a look this weekend and all looks good, healthy brood in all stages but very little stored honey despite the honey sugar mixture even neat honey they dont seem to be interested even when trickled down the feed hole... I know I am going to have to put fondant on soon but is there anything more I can do.... possibly pour honey onto the empty combs?

2:1 sugar/water is the Autumn ratio. The temperatures are presumed to be too low for the bees to get the water content of 1:1 sugar/water down to 18%.

Perhaps that is the problem.

Also, have you checked that the syrup has not gone "off" if it has been on the hive for a while (August?).

At this stage, in northern England, I would be tempted to go down the fondant route, as you suggest. Pouring (that hive's own ?) honey on the comb seems a little desperate and may stimulate robbing by other hives.

Good luck on getting those stores into that hive !

moby

Sorry, misread 50/50 honey/syrup. Silly me....and apologies. Still worth testing to see if it has gone "off" and still fondant, in my view, though !

Last edited:
Hi Moby,

Try a Nosema treatment - trickle the strong solution of vitafeed gold, then put a bit more in fresh feed.

Meg

has anyone done proper spore counts before and after vita gold ? I'd heard it was no good and a fumadil drench is many times more effective at lowering nosema spore counts

very little stored honey despite the honey sugar mixture even neat honey they dont seem to be interested even when trickled down the feed hole... possibly pour honey onto the empty combs?
Someone with more experience may comment, but most beekeepers I have met would only ever feed back honey bees had collected earlier in the season themselves. If you are using shop bought honey it has the substantial risk of carrying disease spores.

most beekeepers

My comment is: I hope it would be all or every, not most. There is no suggestion here of feeding honey other than their own produce.

RAB

most beekeepers

My comment is: I hope it would be all or every, not most. There is no suggestion here of feeding honey other than their own produce.

RAB

"Pour honey onto the empty combs"? No suggestion here of honey from other than their own produce. Neither is there any suggestion that it is that I can see.

Last edited:
As I said it should be all. That should include Moby.

But there will always be some....I know. Certainly, if they do they are not yet beekeeepers!

You have feeded hives 2 months! And they do not take any more...

Have you looked inside how full hives are?

As I said it should be all. That should include Moby.

But there will always be some....I know. Certainly, if they do they are not yet beekeeepers!

Eyop tek it easy.... dont jump the gun I am feeding what I took off earlier in the season, I am well aware of the dangers of foregin honey

You have feeded hives 2 months! And they do not take any more...

Have you looked inside how full hives are?

Hi Finman

yes I did take a look on sunday after hefting the hive and fount it was on the light side, the other hives are doing well and feeling heavy... that is why I am asking

Hi Moby,

Try a Nosema treatment - trickle the strong solution of vitafeed gold, then put a bit more in fresh feed.

Meg

Hi Meg,

If there is no presence of nosema why should I be treating them for it?

I will try a fresh feed though thanks

M

Eyop tek it easy.... dont jump the gun I am feeding what I took off earlier in the season, I am well aware of the dangers of foregin honey

Fair enough, that's one source of infection off the list.

Latest posts

Back