not seen in the UK, but.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oriental Hornet, Vespa Orientalis.

NOT currently packing it's bags and heading for the UK, and within it's range where you saw it - though about as close to NW Europe as it gets.

I am sure that is an Asian Hornet.

Although the brown parts look browner than the ones I get here which are darker and near black. That may be the photo perhaps.

I really hope you do not get them in the UK. I have lost one (weak) hive already. They are easy to capture and also to kill with a badminton racquet. However more than 10 outside a hive at a time will be the end of the hive. Although the colonies seem to develop defensive strategies this hinders free flying greatly.

Thanks all. They were really everywhere with no sign of a honey bee, and believe me I looked. I've added another picture to show them drinking just in case my colours were a bit off.
I was also staggered at how clean the city looked given the huge strain the economy is under there, a truly beautiful city and a credit to its people.
Image is too big so cannot load as my zip is down, sorry.

Thanks all. They were really everywhere with no sign of a honey bee, and believe me I looked. I've added another picture to show them drinking just in case my colours were a bit off.
I was also staggered at how clean the city looked given the huge strain the economy is under there, a truly beautiful city and a credit to its people.
Image is too big so cannot load as my zip is down, sorry.

What did you think about the graffiti though?

One of the best ones is: "Keep working w****rs, the palace has running costs to cover". Of course translated from Greek.

Apparently the graffiti was all about the crisis and who's to blame (a certain European country is not welcome there at the moment), but we are going off thread a bit here and I can feel the cold breath of the web monitor on my collar never mind whats coming next week!
What is fascinating about these hornets is the research being done into their ability to synthesis the suns energy direct into the body via the yellow strip. I find that amazing for a complex organism to be able to gain energy directly and indirectly. Well worth a read.

I am sure that is an Asian Hornet.

Although the brown parts look browner than the ones I get here which are darker and near black. That may be the photo perhaps.

I really hope you do not get them in the UK. I have lost one (weak) hive already. They are easy to capture and also to kill with a badminton racquet. However more than 10 outside a hive at a time will be the end of the hive. Although the colonies seem to develop defensive strategies this hinders free flying greatly.

Not Asian Hornet - compare.

27f88c0117f0665a8ae033fac38b8e8a

Chris

I gave the answer in post 2!

Back