NOT Runny hunny

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E1M

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello one and all,
This years honey is not runny, not that it matters I know, but I just wondered if it is OK to gently heat the jar, with honey content, in order to make it clearer and runny again?

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Only heat it in a bain marie, ie stand it in a pot of warm water not more than 30 degrees centigrade. It should melt in 15mins or so.

thank you, that's exactly what I thought of doing.

I shove it in the microwave! If its for my consumption no problem, one minute on full and then stir!
E

...or remove the lid!

30 degrees in anything will do very little other than perhaps soften the honey - a well-warmed kitchen would do the same!

You may well need close to 50 if you wish to convert granulated OSR to runny honey.

RAB

Hello one and all,
This years honey is not runny, not that it matters I know, but I just wondered if it is OK to gently heat the jar, with honey content, in order to make it clearer and runny again?

Your thoughts are welcomed.

We do this all the time as our bees have never given us runny honey...always sets like concrete...

30C useles. 50C and no more or you will cook it and then suitable for own consumption and baking. I have a heating mat for making wine on which I place a bucket at a time to settle and clear honey. It leaves it runny too but will granulate eventually if kept long enough. Pal on mine who has many more hives that me, puts his honey buckets in the oven on its lowest 49C setting overnight. He has contractual commitments with farm shops so must be OK. Get yourself Ted Hoopers book "Guide to Bees and Honey". Me mentions 50C too.

Just thought - when I say we do this all the time - I mean for our use, not for sale...

Latest posts

Back