Not bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Next door neighbour asked me to have a look at what she thought could be honey bees going into the roof space through the facia boards or her house. Not honey bees, but wasps which possibly explains why I've got so many of them around my hives! Is there a safe way to get rid of them?

As a gardener I am a great believer in live and let live - that is unless anything is bothering my bees!!!
Suggest you put some of the suggestions on this site to catch the wasps into action near the hives.
There are lots of wasp killer sprays in the diy stores which if you don you bee gear you could destroy the nest, but they are good for the garden as carnivores and eat blackfly as well as being another pollinator - so it is your choice!

Grizzly,

You are 'putting the cart before the horese'. They likely have a nest hanging from the roof trusses, or whatever. Find where it actually is and then decide.

KISS principle is almost always a better approach

Regards, RAB

Get a professional to do it!!! contact a local sole trading pest controller, odds are he will know where to look for it, I can probably tell you with out looking!!! but hubby has done thousands in his line of work. We all get annoyed when pesties interfer with beekeeping so get one working with you, odds are he gets loads of swarms come his way so maybe some recipricle work there.

the number of time hubby has had calls from people who thought is was just a simple case of empty a can of something nasty into nest and then got it wrong is unbelievable, should cost under £40 but would be done properly.

nest is about to send out next years queens so distroy it now and save yourself some pain later use ant powder regards paul

nest is about to send out next years queens so distroy it now and save yourself some pain later use ant powder regards paul

Paul are you a pest controller??? If you are please tell me is Ant powder Liscensed for use on Wasps??? If not then dont tell someone to use a substance for which it is not designed

If you use ant powder on wasps then you will be breaking the law!!!

ANT POWDER IS FOR ANTS NOT WASPS

yes i am a pest controller.ant powder states it is for use on ants and {outher} insects,you will not be breaking the law i would not recomend a member of the public try this but a beekeeper is better set up regards paul

I've got wasp traps everywhere including in and around the apiary

As the wasps are around my hives, wouldnt I be putting the bees at risk if I used ant powder or the like?

I've had quite a few wasp nest in my own loft and in the past, I left them alone. However, I didnt have bees, so it's perhaps a different matter now.

Incidentally, I've seen far more people injure themselves trying to get away from wasps than I have seen people stung by them. It's the fear of the crime rather than the crime itself that's the problem, (except when it comes to stealing honey)

You'll be wanting an 'executioner' then - pointless as a method of control but strangely satisfying with a very nice sound and light show when weilded against the blighters at dusk!

Latest posts

Back