Nosema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Does anyone have any pics of nosema spores,and the method they us for detection

N. apis & N. ceranae

Hi Hivemaker,
I have a couple of photos of Nosema apis and Nosema ceranae.
First one is N.apis.
Slide1-12.jpg

Slide4-6.jpg

I do have some more but I think these give enough detail.

Members I am into Microscopy, with pollen slides and the external anatomy along with the internal anatomy of the honey bee.
If anyone would like to see pollen grains then I have hundreds, so if there are any requests I shall look through my files to see if have a slide of that particular pollen grain.
With anatomy just ask and hopefully I should be able to dig it out from somewhere.
I do not want to bombard this thread with all my 'bits'.

Regards; Bcrazy

Bcrazy can we see your top 5 favorite slides?

Thanks for posting the above ones,you seem to be able to stain and photograph without problems.
What stain solution do you use?

Hi Members,

I would need time to rake out what I consider my best slides as there would bee bee anatomy and pollen slides to consider.
Anyway here are a couple of pollen slides I like.

Regards; Bcrazy

Hi bcrazy,
can you go through the method for detection,and can nosema be found to some degree in all bee's.

Hi Hivemaker,

To detect Nosema in a colony of bees is as follows;

Collect at least 30 bees that have done their stint as house bees. Then cut the abdomens off and place in a mortar for pounding. Once at least 30 abdomens are ready then use the pestal to mash up the abdomens into a paste. There might be a need to add a couple of drops of water just to give a slight runny consistency.
Push the solid debris to one side and there should be a brown liquid left at the bottom of the mortar. Have a clean microscopy slide ready with a cover slip, and place a couple of drops of the brown mush onto the slide. Cover with a cover slip. Place the slide on the stage of a compound microscope and view at X400. What you should see is pollen husks, plumrose hair, malpighian tubules and trachea.
If there are Nosema spores then they will look like small grains of rice.

To answer the question;
can nosema be found to some degree in all bee's.

No. I have tested my bees this autumn and did not find any spores in the mashed 30 abdomens.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards; Bcrazy

Latest posts

Back