Nosema?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandtpoultry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, hope you can help my bees are out looking healthy but they are making a bit of a mess, they are messing on the hive entrance, some is a bit wet but most looks more like fish pooh, long and thin I have looked everywhere but not seeing much info on the internet. Looked on the floor outside the hive and a couple of bees were wondering around but as soon as sun came from behind a cloud they were invgorated and up they flew, of the bees out their wings seemed fine no K wing, does anyone have any ideas?

Bcrazy will Nosema test for you if you send him a few dead bees.

they are messing on the hive entrance, some is a bit wet but most looks more like fish pooh, long and thin

Since when do bees crap like fish?

However, snails do.

Chris

I bet they hadnt been out for a few days.bee-smillie

no not snails it is the bees. they say we are going to 15c today so I will go in and look around inside. but can 100% say not snails it is bees the flies are also making a mess on it but this is easy to tell it is tiny black spots, going to use incubator disinfectant to clean out side of hive today when it is at its warmest.

Might make more sense to clean when its cold and the bees are not out...

A confined bee can pass quite a long turd but I am doing breakfasts so not the best topic, but it sounds normal to me. Bees with Nosema foul inside the hive and the mess is like diarrhoea. Mainly because it is.

PH

Last edited:
A confined bee can pass quite a long turd

But nothing like "looks more like fish pooh, long and thin", that just isn't possible. Splots and splats yes when they are sick but not long and thin...

I think we need a photo, I'm into excrement, (but not in the ****).

Chris

You do get long ones, about an inch. Seen them on the car often enough.

PH

But not a string, a splat skid perhaps due to velocity and angle, it just isn't in their biology.

I really would need to see a photo.

Chris

I will get a pic for you at some point but trust me they can and do do a doodoo like a fish.

Seen it time upon time.

PH

Hi, outside of hive cleaned and disinfected. If get anymore today will take pictures. I am going in the hive later when it warms up more to see what is in there will report if I find more :) Glad I can add confusion.

the strongest indicator of nosema I had was the smell! As soon as I lifted the lid it was as if I'd opened a sewer - not good.
The good bit for me was that when the weather improved and the bees had had a chance to 'exercise', the problem went. I'm still keeping an eye on any poos, especially within the hive but I'm much relieved!

Latest posts

Back