Nosema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
Can anyone help out here. I seem to think that I read (possibly on the forum) that bees drowning in a rapid feeder, may be a sign of nosema. Is this right or am I just having a CRAFT moment?
Andy

Last edited:
Only a sign the bee can't swim in syrup for very long!. There is a risk that if the bee has nosema spores in its gut I suppose the bee could defaecate in the process of dying and contaminate the feed but not sure Nosema spores can withstand the osmotic dehydration of concentrated syrup.

Only a sign the bee can't swim in syrup for very long!. There is a risk that if the bee has nosema spores in its gut I suppose the bee could defaecate in the process of dying and contaminate the feed but not sure Nosema spores can withstand the osmotic dehydration of concentrated syrup.

I thought nosema was evident in most bee colonies and that it only manifests itself as problem due to stress etc? Never seen it with my lot anyway.

Can anyone help out here. I seem to think that I read (possibly on the forum) that bees drowning in a rapid feeder, may be a sign of nosema. Is this right or am I just having a CRAFT moment?
Andy

Its a sign that your bees are falling in and can't climb out.
Attend to float and textured sides. Bees can grip on the sides just fine... until their feet are wet...

As per masterBK, drowning bees might spread (not indicate) Nosema.

Latest posts

Back