Nosema & Vita feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenperrett

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
In early April two of my hives were found to have a medium Nosema infection which surprised me as they were building up ok and there was no sign of dysentry.

I have used Vita Feed Gold on them as per instructions (100ml dribbled x 5) and used 1% solution in a contact feeder while doing a Bailey frame exchange to 14x12.

Today I retested them and they were the same, medium infection :(

Will the spore count take longer than a month to drop after treatment or is it time for Fumidil B (which I`ve managed to get hold of now) ?

Darren

Nosema-infected colonies are part of beekeeping, just like varroa is. Feed Fumidil B in winter feed to help prevent winter losses.

Thanks

I`ve made up some of HM`s thymol solution which they`ll get in their autumn feed along with some Fumidil B.

I just expected a bit more from Vita Feed, I suppose, considering the price.

While doing a bit of research on "the net" I found somewhere that said you can kill nosema spores by warming your combs to above 49C for 24 hours. I might try some of that in my warming cabinet.

Darren.

Darren

It is natural to have nosema. Along spring and summer nosema chould be healed because bees can make poo often.

If nosema disturbs the colony, it is better to change the queen and genes.

Thanks Finman

I`ll check them regularly during the summer as I would be interested to see the spore count drop as the summer warms up.

Darren.

I noticed Nosevit at Stoneleigh this year. The ingredients I noted were propolis and water. I also noticed the price. It was going like hot cakes and I wondered if money was really that easy to come by.

I noticed Nosevit at Stoneleigh this year.

And were there any stripey shirts there that you noticed in particular Hombre.

Well people if you would follow sound advise you would not need to treat nosema, it is a preventive condition not a curable one.

I followed sound advise from a well know poster and have zero infection. And will continue to use system until bees change. If its not broke don't fix it. Use THYMOL Feeds in autumn and winter!!!

Busy Bee

Well people if you would follow sound advise you would not need to treat nosema, it is a preventive condition not a curable one.

I followed sound advise from a well know poster and have zero infection. And will continue to use system until bees change. If its not broke don't fix it. Use THYMOL Feeds in autumn and winter!!!

Busy Bee

I did feed thymolated syrup to the hives I had in the autumn, these were two hives I picked up in January from someone giving up beekeeping.

If i hadn`t had a microscope and retested them i would have probably carried on buying VFG and assumed it was working, You have to trust the advertising to a cetain extent or you`d never buy anything. Some people may have good results with it but i haven`t. Pay your money and take your
choice.

Darren

I think all the stripy shirts were in hiding this year :)
Advertising - Hmmmmm.
Beek sees what are taken as the effects of nosema (dysentry) and so arranges to buy VFG or Nosevit after a couple of days pondering what to do. It arrives a few days later and within a fortnight the bees seem normal. Must be magic stuff, but maybe they just pulled through and the credit given to whatever they were dosed with.

Good scheme - use a bit of logic to decide what treatments are needed. Not everyone has the bees interests as a first priority . Filthy lucre and profit is the primary motive; the bees are a way to an end.

I'm happy with thymolated syrup and VFG is largely that with other essential oils, for the ultimate benefit of . . .

What a cynic eh, not borne that way, but tempered by life experience?

Is nosema an infection or is it an endemic part of the bees gut which sometimes gets unbalanced and the nosema population soars causing problems occasionally

Back