Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

bbadger07 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
3 colonies
Im a little confused if to treat my bees with fumidil B as an precaution..

The burning question is should i treat as an precautionary measure, theres a lot of uncertainty here...

The other issue i had was the amount of sugar 14lbs to a third of an 25mg amount, thats alot of sugar obviously mixed with 7 pints of water at the correct temp.

Would this feed last a while, me thinks it would last about 3 months.

Im sure my bee mentor will answer me question but i would really appreciate some feedback off forum members.

By the way i bought a couple of them new maismore jumbo rapid feeders, i wondered if any members have tried these for a season, i would like to know any thoughts on them.

As always i would appreciate any feedback off forum members as it would be much appreciated

again thanks everyone ...

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
They say give each colony approx a third of the powder. It is not an exact science. I've just given each of my colonies approx 15lb of 2:1 syrup containing the Fumidil.

The point is, don't give a third of the powder in, say, just a couple of pints of syrup. Those couple of pints might get used before winter and not stored. You want your quota of of syrup containing the Fumidil stored for winter/spring usage.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Test for the disease first, don't just nuke then with unnecessary chemicals!

Last edited:

bbadger07 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
3 colonies
thanks for your replys, i suppose i would have to send my bees off for testing to know for sure if they had nosema, so thats a possible solution (is there a service which carries out this test)??

And i guess it also make sense not to treat them with fumidil B to early as it wont be stored over winter.

I will run this by my mentor this week to see what his thinking is, again much appreciated for your replys

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
thanks for your replys, i suppose i would have to send my bees off for testing to know for sure if they had nosema, so thats a possible solution (is there a service which carries out this test)??
Testing is easily within the capability of a hobbysit beek ... with a microscope ... and does not require any scientific experience. There are guides out there. I seem to remember a good one in the BKQ a few issues back.

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Hi All,

Test for the disease first, don't just nuke then with unnecessary chemicals!
Well said my friend, also these beekeepers? why dont they treat for AFB or EFB as they have not been confirmed ???????????

Mo

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Well said my friend, also these beekeepers? why dont they treat for AFB or EFB as they have not been confirmed ???????????
Because Nosema disease is about 5000 more times as common as foulbrood.

And because Nosema and the foulbroods are completely different diseases - the former being a protozoan affecting adult bees, and the latter being microbial diseases affecting brood.

And because the authorities in their wisdom allow me to.

And because no resistance to Fumidil has ever been, to my knowledge, documented.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
"and because the authorities in their wisdom allow me to" - this of course presupposes that the "authorities" are indeed wise, benevolent in intent, and totally uninfluenced by commercial considerations......... (and comes to the mistaken conclusion that because "you're allowed to", it's necessarily a good idea)

A lifetime of bitter experience suggests that most "in authority" are usually the least qualified to be in charge, and probably shouldn't be allowed out with their own dinner money...........:biggrinjester:

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
The burning question is should i treat as an precautionary measure, theres a lot of uncertainty here...

The other issue i had was the amount of sugar 14lbs to a third of an 25mg amount, thats alot of sugar obviously mixed with 7 pints of water at the correct temp.

Would this feed last a while, me thinks it would last about 3 months.

Im sure my bee mentor will answer me question but i would really appreciate some feedback off forum members.

By the way i bought a couple of them new maismore jumbo rapid feeders, i wondered if any members have tried these for a season, i would like to know any thoughts on them.

As always i would appreciate any feedback off forum members as it would be much appreciated

again thanks everyone ...
dont quite know what you are saying about the volume of sugar, 14lbs or lets go metric 6.5kg of sugar makes 3.25litres of 2:1 syrup, Mine will take that down in about three days not three months

bbadger07 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
3 colonies
I cant get any fumidil B anyways because we ordered to late and its all out of stock, so im not going to bother and will look into getting some samples to view under the microscope for nosema levels

Onge 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH
Personally I wouldn't put Fumidil B anywhere near my hives.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Thymol is also a treatment for nosema?

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
My understanding of the operation of Fumadil B is as a prophylactic. It doesn't get rid of it, but it does mitigate it, by interfering with the reproduction system of the nosema spores, insofar as FB prevents the spores breaking through the bees gut wall and reproducing, almost explosively,

So, anything that can reduce or erradicate the instance of Nosema spores in the hive environment. such as a thymolated syrup, is to be welcomed and is a logical first line of attack.

Fumadil B on it's own is likely to be an expensive indulgence. It needs to be used, like with varroa, as part of an IPM system.

Chris B 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
My understanding is most bees have nosema to some degree, but some are more vulnerable to it. I've never treated for it and it's no doubt been a contributory factor to some winter losses, but I reckon I'm ahead overall with money saved on treatments and tougher bees as a result. But I'd certainly consider it if winter losses started creeping up again.

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
Personally I wouldn't put Fumidil B anywhere near my hives.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Thymol is also a treatment for nosema?
Hivemaker's use suggests it may, its an appoach I am using now and so we will see.

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
My understanding is most bees have nosema to some degree, but some are more vulnerable to it. I've never treated for it and it's no doubt been a contributory factor to some winter losses, but I reckon I'm ahead overall with money saved on treatments and tougher bees as a result. But I'd certainly consider it if winter losses started creeping up again.
I'm in agreement with that in the case of larger operations, but not in the case of a purely hobbyist beekeeper such as myself with only six colonies. And besides, Fumidil for just six colonies is affordable.

Norton 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Most colonies have some Nosema present. It breaks out when the bees are, stressed, are crushed by the beekeeper and the house bees have a mess to clean up and when bees defecate in the hive. Old combs carry a lot of spores. Feeding Fumidl B is good preventative management.
Best regards
Norton.

Latest posts