Nosema spores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
I was asked to do an examination for Nosema by another beekeeper as his colony had died out. He said it was through starvation but they had plenty of stores, so he reckoned.

Anyway here's loads and loads of spores;

Not again!!!!!!

Admin please help I have been informed I have used my quota up for adding photo's.

Regards;

Sorry Bcrazy,I will look into it now.

EDIT: Should be fixed...

Admin

As mentioned above here are the slides of Nosema spores.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

These show a heavy infection, its no wonder they died out.

The dark finger like shots are from the slide as it began to dry out, the water collected the spores together to give that effect.

Regards;

Really nice clear pictures Bcrazy,as much as we hate nosema.Have 16 with this up to now,and these are now being treated,some quite strong with half box of bee's and few frames of brood in,so should be fine.

Fumigilin, sprayed, and small feeder with double dose of thymolised syrup.

Good old Thymol !

I will be giving it again this year at the end of August.

I understand Fumidil B does not affect the Nosema spores, just the protozoan stage. So, is there anything available that will attack the spores (in a live colony of bees)? Also, can brood frames from an infected colony be effectively cleaned with acetic acid or should the frames simple be destroyed?

Hi Steve,

Nosema has been reclassified from a Protozoa to a Microsporidian.

With reference to the frames see what 'Hivemaker' is doing, that is one way to save frames but I would advise a Baily frame change as soon as possible in the spring. Then you could use AA to clean.

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.jpg

Slide7.jpg

As mentioned before Steve your sample is clear of Nosema spores.

Regards;

Hi Bcrazy,

Thanks for checking the sample I sent you for Nosema. I appreciate your effort.

Whilst it's good to see this colony didn't die out because of Nosema, it does make me wonder what actually caused their demise. When I treated this nuc with oxalic acid, back in early January, there were 3 large seams of bees and plenty of stores. A month later they had dwindled to less than 200 bees and died out. Although there were plenty of sealed stores present, the seam they were in was empty apart from a small patch of granulated stores. Also, I couldn't find the queen amongst the dead bees!

So, this leads me to the conclusion that:

1. The OA started the problem (possibly killing out the queen?) and caused them to dwindle. Although my other colonies don't appear to have been affected in the same way.
  2. Whatever the reason that they dwindled, once there was only 1 seam of bees the cluster couldn't find the stores and starved.
  3. They could also have froze due to the small number of bees and the recently colder than normal weather.

Anyway, thanks again Bcrazy.

Steve

P.S. Yep, think I'll be doing a few Bailey comb exchanges this season, followed by cleaning the newest frames with AA.

Last edited:
Steve how old was the Queen ?

Did you see young bees going into winter ?

I have been told that old bees do not do very well with an OA treatment, although I have not seen anything published yet.

According to my records:

1. The queen was from a 2008 swarm cell.
  2. In September there were 2 frames of normal brood and one of drone brood (the drone brood was due to me re-using a frame from another colony that had previously been deformed by an excessive amount of drone brood).
  3. During October and November, all of the drone brood was thrown out.
I haven't got a note on how many old vs young bees went into winter. Something for me to note next autumn.

Hi Bcrazy,

I never commented on the pollen husks/grains that you couldn't identify. All I can really say is that those bees had access to vary varied flora. Although the apiary is based on a farm, it is just tens of meters from a housing estate (an old estate with most houses having large well established gardens).

Steve

Latest posts

Back