Nosema nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbritishhoney

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made up a nuc at the weekend from a really strong colony.
Have just checked the nuc this evening and it looks to me like it is suffering from nosema - lots of bee poo around the entrance.
However, the parent colony is showing no signs.
Is this just due to the fact that the nuc is weaker and more susceptible?

I would appreciate any suggestions of how to treat the nuc. I have used Fumidil B in the past but only ever for full colonies.

Cheers
Andy.

hi
i jad the very same problem a few weeks ago i used vita feed gold as directed every other day for a week the nuc is now doing fine as going strong

I had this last year and came to the conclusion it was stress as it cleared up quickly without treatment.
But at that stage I did not own a microscope so it was only a "guess".

I fed 2:1 instead of 1:1 whilst it built up.

Happens a lot to newly made nucs. I wouldn't say that you've got nosema, just the young bees are a little stressed and the old bees often have a poo leaving the nuc - the little so and sos.

Happens a lot to newly made nucs. I wouldn't say that you've got nosema, just the young bees are a little stressed and the old bees often have a poo leaving the nuc - the little so and sos.

I agree, i think you should just check them in a few days, I have found on occasions when large scale home maneuvers are made there is a prolific bee poo issue after a day or so it calms down. It really smells though I got some on my hand and i'm sure they were aiming it at me the little bliters.

Streaking is not necessarily indicative of Nosema. If you locked the bees in the nuc box for a while it is hardly surprising that the first thing they did when released was to have a crap. Wouldn't you?

I remember a photo posted last year of a nuc hive almost completely covered in bee poo I think soon after it was established.

I have looked for the thread but not able to find it at the moment but it was a lot.

Nosevit?

Has anyone tried 'Nosevit' as a treatment for nosema? I'm not 100% sure that I have a problem reading the rest of the thread but have been pondering over whether to do anything or not .. few suspect blobs on the outside of the hive but inside looks fine & no odds smells! Saw this treatment and just wondered if it worked or not?

Tried it last spring.
Couldn't be absolutely sure whether the bees sorted themselves out or if the Nosevit helped but the symptoms (not severe) resolved and the colony look good now.
Cazza

Back