Norwegian Spruce

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
Does anyone on here have any equipment/hive parts made out of Norwegian Spruce? If so, could you possibly comment on its durability, longevity and weight?

I'm considering ordering some parts made from this type of wood.

Thanks in advance.

It's certainly not cedar when it comes to durability and doesn't like getting wet much, it will need a good few coats of preservative and will want regular recoating if you want it to last.

Si.

It's certainly not cedar when it comes to durability and doesn't like getting wet much, it will need a good few coats of preservative and will want regular recoating if you want it to last.

Si.

Ok, thanks SER. That's enough to put me off and to make me stick with cedar!!

White park, just make sure the advice u take is from those that absolutely know about wood so ask for details regarding authority on the subject. There are many types of wood that are more than suitable for hive components, as u were not asked what parts u were referring to it would be an idea to post this info as well.

Cedar is commonly used but not all over the world. U need to bare in mind 2 things specific weather conditions to u're region, the UK climate is not that bad and the specific grade of wood. I have been using second grade Cedar and it's fine but will not last as long as 1st and requires additional protection but for me it was a cost decision. There is a supplier in the peak district offering hives made of red
Deal which is adequate. Most people weather proof cedar hives anyway so just bare that in mind.

Good luck with u're choice.

Remember u don't always need to follow the crowd.

Tom Bick and Hivemaker should be around tonight to help out.

Don't forget that Norwegian Spruce has been used for centuaries for the masts and spars of boats.It is not as naturally durable as Cedar but is o.k. if treated with Cuprinol to discourage wet rot.In boat building it is coated with marine varnish which seals the wood, in "olden" times it was coated with Linseed Oil which oxidises to form a waterproof seal.A lot of hives are made from "Deal" which is a generic name used in the timber industry for the cheaper softwoods such as Hemlock,Sitka Spruce,Scots Pine etc.etc.The majority of hives sold in the U.k. are cedar but high costs in this day and age means that a lot of cheaper European softwoods are also in use in hive construction.I've got cedar hives tht I'e had in use for nearly 40 years and apart from the odd bit of wear and tear damage look good for a lot of years yet , but, I do retreat them with Cuprinol every six years or so.Cuprino doesn't "weatherproof" hives but does prevent moulds and fungi spores from taking hold on the hive exterior and keeps them "clean".

Don't forget that Norwegian Spruce has been used for centuaries for the masts and spars of boats.It is not as naturally durable as Cedar but is o.k. if treated with Cuprinol to discourage wet rot.In boat building it is coated with marine varnish which seals the wood, in "olden" times it was coated with Linseed Oil which oxidises to form a waterproof seal.A lot of hives are made from "Deal" which is a generic name used in the timber industry for the cheaper softwoods such as Hemlock,Sitka Spruce,Scots Pine etc.etc.The majority of hives sold in the U.k. are cedar but high costs in this day and age means that a lot of cheaper European softwoods are also in use in hive construction.I've got cedar hives tht I'e had in use for nearly 40 years and apart from the odd bit of wear and tear damage look good for a lot of years yet , but, I do retreat them with Cuprinol every six years or so.Cuprino doesn't "weatherproof" hives but does prevent moulds and fungi spores from taking hold on the hive exterior and keeps them "clean".

Thanks for the opinion.

I only use cedar hives at present and prefer not to treat them at all as once treated.....you generally have to re-treat periodically and with a large number of hives it's a pain.

KISS as another poster on this forum might say.

I have hives from scotch pine and boxes are 45 years old. They are in good condition.

The box needs a thin cover of latex that it respirates outside the moisture. Part of moisture comes from bees respiration and condensationinside, not from rain.

We have 2 main construction wood in Finland, scotch pine and norwegian pruce. Pine is used outside because it has more resins to stand up weathers.

It depends too how fast the tree has qrowed. It is not only species question.

But it is sure that norwegian pruce stand up weather well. In these pictures houses have pruce covering.

http://www.rakennustieto.fi/Downloads/Tarviketieto/pdf/37857.pdf

The weight for dry scotsch pine is 0,52 and for pruce 0,47.

The price depends on quality.

You may use this kind of material in the picture. It is used in floors

dir_valmiit_ponttilaudat.jpg

Latest posts

Back