Noob Question on Bee Craft

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgate

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Dear All,

Bit of a nooby question here but here goes:

Bee Craft; how many people subscribe to it? How useful do they find it? Does it add value?

If one were to subscribe, do you get a digital backcopy or only going forward?

Are there other similar ones that are better/ worth looking at?

Thanks in Advance,

H

I subscribe to the magazine and digital copy, digital back copies would have to be paid for. As to its value and usefulness, for beginners they offer a month by month list of activities and how to do it. Different writers every year. The first magazine I had came free with my association subscription 38 years ago, sadly not the case these days. There is also regional news from time to time, international news, scientific developments, how to guides, news from bygone days, Q & A section, plant of the month, classified section private and commercial, news regarding threats such as the Asian Hornet, book revues and letters to the editor. There are also the live webinars. Something for everyone, even though some articles might seem repetitive, you see different angles from Professional beekeepers and amateur. Try one years subscription and see how it goes.

I subscribe to the magazine and digital copy, digital back copies would have to be paid for. As to its value and usefulness, for beginners they offer a month by month list of activities and how to do it. Different writers every year. The first magazine I had came free with my association subscription 38 years ago, sadly not the case these days. There is also regional news from time to time, international news, scientific developments, how to guides, news from bygone days, Q & A section, plant of the month, classified section private and commercial, news regarding threats such as the Asian Hornet, book revues and letters to the editor. There are also the live webinars. Something for everyone, even though some articles might seem repetitive, you see different angles from Professional beekeepers and amateur. Try one years subscription and see how it goes.

I agree... excellent magazine.

Thanks Arudil & Fullerton,

Was thinking of doing that and then at a later date subscribing to the back copies.

On a related note, was also thinking of adding on the basic Apiary guides or the bundle, apiary guide, etc., but I suspect that it may just be too basic and a bit of a waste?

Thoughts?

Thanks Arudil & Fullerton,

Was thinking of doing that and then at a later date subscribing to the back copies.

On a related note, was also thinking of adding on the basic Apiary guides or the bundle, apiary guide, etc., but I suspect that it may just be too basic and a bit of a waste?

Thoughts?

You can get free booklets in pdf format from Beebase similar to these guides, but, as ready reckoners, they have their place for beginners, but anything you are not sure on, you can contact SBI's. You may find the inspection cards useful. There are also the booklets for making nucs, warming cabinets (a bit dated, but can be adjusted) and solar wax extractors.

Its ok. I flick through it 3 or 4 times during each months edition. And its only because I enjoy reading about my hobby

Most of the stuff is online and one is better informed by consuming on YouTube (I like the Norfolk Honey Company, and Canadians who seem to be very good with creative Beek techniques).. Nothing beats advice than that available on this platform though. I have learned tons from the folks on this BKF....

Just my two penneth...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Its ok. I flick through it 3 or 4 times during each months edition. And its only because I enjoy reading about my hobby

Most of the stuff is online and one is better informed by consuming on YouTube (I like the Norfolk Honey Company, and Canadians who seem to be very good with creative Beek techniques).. Nothing beats advice than that available on this platform though. I have learned tons from the folks on this BKF....

Just my two penneth...

Be careful what you choose to watch on YouTube.

You can get free booklets in pdf format from Beebase similar to these guides, but, as ready reckoners, they have their place for beginners, but anything you are not sure on, you can contact SBI's. You may find the inspection cards useful. There are also the booklets for making nucs, warming cabinets (a bit dated, but can be adjusted) and solar wax extractors.
Thanks Anduril,

Ill subscribe and look into the inspection guides if only as a quick reminder.

H,

So I am cycling in Ontario and see a bee farm so pop in. I am shown a skep on a bathroom scale reading 112 lbs. I was asked to lift it but declined due to lycra not being suitable to bee in...

Temp is 28C in late Sept, 4th week of.

Skep started 3d week of June with a shake of bees and a queen.

Now tell me this people how possible is that in the UK? Certainly not here in the Borders nor I suspect in the sunny south.

Discuss dear beginners and then ponder how relevant what happens in sunny climes relates to what we can and cannot do. Beware the siren sound of youtube and the tropical beekeeping therein.

PH

So I am cycling in Ontario and see a bee farm so pop in. I am shown a skep on a bathroom scale reading 112 lbs. I was asked to lift it but declined due to lycra not being suitable to bee in...
Now tell me this people how possible is that in the UK? Certainly not here in the Borders nor I suspect in the sunny south.
Discuss dear beginners and then ponder how relevant what happens in sunny climes relates to what we can and cannot do. Beware the siren sound of youtube and the tropical beekeeping therein.

PH
Bee sceptical. This is "lifted" directly from their web pages "Bee Craft is the Informed Voice of British Beekeeping. We are a not-for-profit organisation which aims to highlight the latest and best in beekeeping throughout the UK." Really ?!

I received my first copy today after reading this thread - The first article I read was very informative. Good recommendation, forum..

PH
Noted. Also when their weather drops, it drops like a stone so summering and over wintering are completely different than here - Which if course means the whole shebang is. They have some very good commercial beeking resources though. Also Canucks speak a little more clearly about the craft than the septics in my view.

Latest posts

Back