Nonaganarian needs plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
My neighbour is a nonaganarian (90), and has begged to be allowed to build me a beehive either National or TBH. However, he thinks in feet and inches and I need truly simple straightforward plans. I have looked everywhere I can think of but nothing seems to fit...any suggestions as he is really looking forward to a 'project'....

I've no idea why, but the forum software stopped me putting in a link to the excellent free downloadable pdf (in proper English measurements) on how to build a TBH from the "Lulu" site - you can find the link on the Biobees website (just look for "free top bar hive plans")

Used to build this........

tbh.jpg

Last edited:
If you want a national box can you borrow one for him to copy?

I find it much easier with something in front of me that i can look at and measure.

Darren.

My neighbour is a nonaganarian (90), and has begged to be allowed to build me a beehive either National or TBH. However, he thinks in feet and inches and I need truly simple straightforward plans. I have looked everywhere I can think of but nothing seems to fit...any suggestions as he is really looking forward to a 'project'....
Hi go to the Scotish beekkeepes site all ther measurments are inches for all hives and frames

I did find their site but when I press 'DOWNLOAD' absolutely nothing happens - tried 20 plus times including putting the download into my basket but it still wouldn't download.

As I am presently WBC I don't have any National pieces for him to copy, and no beek locally as I don't seem to 'fit' my assoc. So many promises so little action... otherwise it would have been soooo easy...

I might be able to simplify the SBA for him but there isn't a total wood needed sheet, or cutting sheet? I can't keep popping out when he runs out and have no idea where to start working out how much he would need. My last experience of 'proper' woodwork was at school over 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I did find their site but when I press 'DOWNLOAD' absolutely nothing happens - tried 20 plus times including putting the download into my basket but it still wouldn't download.
rs ago.

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/learning/documents/number 4 national hive.pdf

if this does not work PM me with your address and i will print it off and post it

all nice feet and inches

nothing like old imperial, i still think in chains, rods and furlongs when assessing land, my trainees thing i am mad

Last edited:
Thanks all - I hadn't even thought about asking Harry, but when his daughter heard I was going to save and buy a new National and a poly hive she begged me to ask her Dad to make one. He potters in his shed all day, and has made a number of garden bits, so when he heard, HE started begging so I promised to find a simple pattern - after all it is just a bottomless/topless box isn't it?!

Queens59,

Before he starts, do impress/explain why the dimensions are important, such as showing the bee space and explaining why it must be there. Nothing worse than a superb piece of carpentry but made with oversized wood (thickness) to the near correct outside dimensions (very slightly under sized) and finish up without an adequate beespace.

Regards, RAB

Thanks RAB,
I must admit I hadn't thought of that at all - Ooops. It is a lovely offer, but I would have been happier to get my hands on one of Hivemakers but hey ho - I can always use it as a spare or for AS...He'll just be chuffed to have something to play with...

BS National Plans

I've used a book entitled "Build It !" by Joe Jacobs published by the Good Life Press which guides you through building Nat hives, Nucs and TBH using Exterior ply. The method is very simplified with butt jointing and nails used instead of dovetail joints but I've found that I could use one sheet of ply to build 3 hives, together with some planed timber for the rails etc. They do'nt look as pretty as manufactured cedar hives but serve their purpose OK. Measurements are given in both metric and imperial.

Otherwise, if you want to use plans for the traditional hive including proper joints, why do'nt you translate metric measurements to imperial using a tape measure ? The translated imperial measurements are very simple as the hive was designed for imperial.

Thanks, I'll try and get hold of a copy - sounds great thank-you!! I don't have a great reputation for conversions...I once converted a Christmas cake recipe - got Ilb and oz. mized up and ended up with 11 cakes...getting the picture?? Sad eh?

Latest posts

Back