Noise of electric cars revealed, and it’s not what you would think

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have all been brought up with noisy smelly motor vehicles and have learnt to recognise there approach - familiarity breeds contempt - perhaps arrogance and carelessness too. Really its a matter of reeducating ourselves regarding motorised vehicles. Inevitably the changeover period will be long and I suspect most of us on this forum will be long dead before it is complete.

Really its a matter of reeducating ourselves regarding motorised vehicles.

Not really. Just plain educating, for many out there, would be the operative phrase! Many simply have never read the highway code or they just ignore it.

Old man down the pub said they should have a man walking in front of the car waving a red flag and ringing a loud hand bell... sounds a bit revolutionary to me!

Chons da

Great idea, would stop the noise pollution I get from the motorway near me.

Really its a matter of reeducating ourselves regarding motorised vehicles.

Not really. Just plain educating, for many out there, would be the operative phrase! Many simply have never read the highway code or they just ignore it.

One major difficulty is that currently man as a species has proved almost incapable of A) learning sensibly for history. and (B) of making sensible decisions based on rational advice and evidence.

One major difficulty is that currently man as a species has proved almost incapable of A) learning sensibly for history. and (B) of making sensible decisions based on rational advice and evidence.

I expect that second point is particularly relevant for pedestrians in the ‘below average’ category.

But I do agree mostly. Politicians (on average) should, perhaps, be classed as idiots because they pander to the electorate and not the scientific facts.

Old man down the pub said they should have a man walking in front of the car waving a red flag and ringing a loud hand bell... sounds a bit revolutionary to me!

Chons da

We're in the 21st century now!

:bump:

Surely, he meant to say Man, Woman or person of unidentified Gender?

:leaving:

Unfortunately, the X% that would have been eradicated via natural selection are now doing very well;
i.e.
sat on their fat-backsides in their council house. Raking in the benefits derived from having a greater number of descendants than those with the potential to be improving the gene-pool.

Some people do not have a choice where they live.

I've worked hard to give me a choice!

Last edited:
My neighbours have an electric car and it is nearly silent.
Quite scary when they reverse out of their drive.

I think adding some form of noise is a very good idea.
Cyclists, pedestrians, and horse riders will be safer if they know there is a vehicle heading their way.
Ah but clapped out tractor drivers can't hear anyone else so are unconcerned!:rolleyes:

There is another trait that covers all car owners, not just EVs.

Reversing out of their drive is a stupid way to drive. They should have reversed in and driven out forwards. I expect 50%, at least, reverse out. They don’t have the sense to realise that it is safer driving out forwards so they can actually see in front of where they are going.

I know that our local water supply company, a nearby elctricity generating station, and a national recycling plant all refuse entry to their works (from the car parking area) unless the vehicle is reverse parked. The local dust factory also have signs up saying ‘make your first move a safe one by driving forwards’ (or words to that effect). Simple common sense safe driving.

Reversing out of their drive is a stupid way to drive.

>50% of people behind the wheel are poor drivers at best, largely due to ignorance.

However, back to electric cars running down pedestrians.
Of course the incidence is going up!
  • Nobody got electrocuted in the stone age
  • Nobody was runover by a train before September 1830.
  • Very few people were killed by aircraft before 1904.
  • Similarly, Parachuting accidents were unheard of before the death of Franz Reichelt in February 1912
:calmdown::calmdown:
+ Trans Atlantic passengers didn't worry much about icebergs before April 1912

My point is that, statistically you are infinitely more likely to be killed by something after it has been invented!

If you're going to cross the road, Darth Vader's alter ego had suitable advice. It hasn't changed with electric cars. :bump:

Did you know that statistically, increased Icecream sales are linked to a higher incidence of skin cancer?

• Nobody was runover by a train before September 1830.

And how unlucky was that - killed on the day the first ever steam railway passenger service was launched, attending an event that the doctor had told him not to go to for health reasons!! :icon_204-2:
And he only got run down as he felt compelled to do some brown nosing of the prime minister after being told not to leave his carriage.

I've invested in trailing socket manufacturers, to be ready for when all those folks living in tower blocks have bought their electric vehicles.:auto:

I've invested in trailing socket manufacturers, to be ready for when all those folks living in tower blocks have bought their electric vehicles.:auto:

More likely that lamp posts will be the charging points. Or flat/town dwellers will simply order an autonomous vehicle to arrive close to their entry/exit point at the time they require the vehicle.

More likely that lamp posts will be the charging points. Or flat/town dwellers will simply order an autonomous vehicle to arrive close to their entry/exit point at the time they require the vehicle.

Lamp posts :winner1st:

Some acquaintances of mine used to run a Pirate Radio Station in the 60s powering it from a lam post.... in deepest darkest Wimbledon!!!!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back