No wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've had a couple of wasp traps out for a week now. Bait is OJ, sugar, vinegar, cat food. Not a single wasp trapped. Also, I haven't seen one at all around my hives or in the garden. Bizarre.

Bizarre, possibly; welcome, definately!
I suspect there are many on this forum envying you. But there is just that niggle in the back of your mind I bet ... "are my traps working?"

:biggrinjester:

spot on Rosti, I was wondering exactly that. But from what I've read that bait combo is effective.

Also, I haven't seen one at all around my hives or in the garden.

Not really surprising you have not caught any then?

But there again, I've been reading of a torrential downpour in your region for the last week at least! Perhaps some of the ground nesting wasps have drowned?

Regards, RAB

Also, I haven't seen one at all around my hives or in the garden.

Not really surprising you have not caught any then?

But there again, I've been reading of a torrential downpour in your region for the last week at least! Perhaps some of the ground nesting wasps have drowned?

Regards, RAB

yes its been chucking it down

Stoke on Trent wasps fly in all weathers and would die for a good dose of rotten raspberries in syrup water.
So I oblige them..

I have 4 bottle traps.. the best has caught 73 wasps in 6 days... Mrs Madasafish pointed out the wasps disappearing under the slates in our roof:-(

I put out a trap yesterday with apple juice (on my apple tree) with cat food, and vinegar, had a wasp in the first 5 mins.

Not been to day, its coming down stair rods at the moment.:(

They were the first to go for me when I opened one of my hives yesterday. The bloody cheek of it! I reeeeeeaallly HATE them!

They ruined most of my apples last year by boring holes in them, this year is going to be payback. :)

Football-sized colony dispatched here last w/e...in an unused chicken coop...cheek of it! Still loads around, ignoring the traps. More worryingly, visited my mating mininucs (Keilers) the other day at the mating apiary to find a strong underground nest still in action within ten feet :(. Attempts to torch them underground had failed to date. And I wonder why one of my three nucs is short of bees :(. How few bees can keep a virgin queen happy til laying I wonder....?

Football-sized colony dispatched here last w/e...in an unused chicken coop...cheek of it! Still loads around, ignoring the traps. More worryingly, visited my mating mininucs (Keilers) the other day at the mating apiary to find a strong underground nest still in action within ten feet :(. Attempts to torch them underground had failed to date. And I wonder why one of my three nucs is short of bees :(. How few bees can keep a virgin queen happy til laying I wonder....?

Have you tried Nip**n powder, Get the large plastic bottle from a shop near you. W+++o do it cheap.

Worker wasps turned up in West Yorkshire this week, big ones but strangely lots and lots of really small ones too.

Ah ......... but isn't it so satisfying to feel that crunch of wasp twixt gloved finger and thumb :):)

Oh my days NO! I am only just getting used to being near bees! Wasps will send me over the edge! Can't stand them......wouldn't mind crunching them under my boot though ;)

Worker wasps turned up in West Yorkshire.

Well keep the b*ggers down your end if it's all the same with you, better still hoyke 'em over t'pennines!
:smash:

Last edited:
What if ????
You have a big wasp problem and you cant find the nest.

Would it work you take an empty hive/box and place a large amount of fondant/syrup or fruit ect in the box and let the wasps take the easy option of robbing it without any resistance,would it not save a few small colonies from being over run ?

Well keep the b*ggers down your end if it's all the same with you, better still hoyke them over t'pennines!
:smash:

Keep your bally wasps to yourselves, don't send them over here, I'm waspless at the moment and don't need any White Rose foreigners upsetting everything.

Ian

Keep your bally wasps to yourselves, don't send them over here, I'm waspless at the moment and don't need any White Rose foreigners upsetting everything.

Ian

Bet they were a red rose raiding party in the first place!

:D:D:D:biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :D:D:D :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

I've had a couple of wasp traps out for a week now. Bait is OJ, sugar, vinegar, cat food. Not a single wasp trapped. Also, I haven't seen one at all around my hives or in the garden. Bizarre.

So, you put wasp traps out but you have never seen a single one around your hives?

Latest posts

Back