No stores in frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, as a new beekeeper there are lots of bees on the frames, and in the super, but no apparent stores of either nectar or pollen . The bees are collecting pollen from ivy and borage , possibly being robbed? Should I take the super off and rapid feed? It is a deep brood box with 10 frames very full of bees, from a new nuc obtained at the beginning of July.

Hi, as a new beekeeper there are lots of bees on the frames, and in the super, but no apparent stores of either nectar or pollen . The bees are collecting pollen from ivy and borage , possibly being robbed? Should I take the super off and rapid feed? It is a deep brood box with 10 frames very full of bees, from a new nuc obtained at the beginning of July.

Super off and feed.... lots
It’s autumn
Treat for varroa

Thank you, how long should I leave the feeder on?

Andie?

You want to get your colony to the point that it has at least 40lbs of stores of if you are metric some 18 kilos.

To do this you want to be feeding heavy syrup at 2 pounds to a pint. More you need to keep feeding until your hive has that amount of stores put past.

Double-check by hefting. If in doubt use luggage scales.

PH

I have a rapid feeder from Maisemore that holds 3 gallons

Thank you, hopefully keep the robbers out

Latest posts

Back