no smoke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider955i

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
added another super today that should keep them busy for a while
decided not to use smoke this time and they went ballistic at me :cuss:

smoke from now on bee-smillie

Odd how some react so differently. Mine hate smoke. Gave a swarm to a friend last week, he gave them a bit of smoke, they hate it too.

Beekeepers have used smoke for hundreds of years, and its always worked fine so whats changed? I still use smoke buts its when and how much that we all need to know

i always light the smoker, but rarely use it on two of my hives, unless say i have remove drone brood and they think i am robbing.

the other i have requeen and sent her to BCrazy for his research...OTT Bees

Last edited:
I typically only use smoke on my crankiest hives. If they are prone to stinging, then I'll smoke. Most often, I won't bother lighting it. It takes me longer to get the dang thing going than it does to crack open the hive and do an inspection. I watch the weather, too. IF it looks nasty out, I will take the time to light the smoker, if I absolutely have to get in the hives. The last time I decided to leave the smoker home, when a storm was approaching, I got nailed well over 30 times. Most on the inner thighs, then arms and hands.

if your girls hate smoke, maybe it's too hot. I puff some smoke on my hand to feel the temp. If it's hot, or even warm, I'll put some green grass on top to produce cool smoke. Sometimes, over smoking can tick them off, too.

I light my smoker, usually just for smoking my hands and suit if the bees are a bit tetchy.

Just some thoughts:

Does a light smoking mean they gorge less honey?
Without smoke where it's doable and sensible they don't gorge honey so get back to business as usual much quicker as they are not sat around all day bloated with honey?
Do bees fill to capacity once they go heads down on smoking, whatever?

Latest posts

Back