No queens ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezshim

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My bees swarmed last monday 23rd may, managed to catch them in a Nuc.
They seem to be doing well , have drawn out a lot of comb and filling with food. But there is no brood, and I cant see a queen.
Also checked main hive and there is no brood at all now, suggesting I have two hives that are queenless, help what next?

Seems they may have swarmed a week earlier as well?

Seems that you have a cast and the original colony, both with virgins or mated queens soon to start laying.

A prime swarm in a nuc should not fit for very long.

Re-house the swarm and be patient.

RAB

As RAB say's sit back and wait. Don't keep fiddling with them, just let them sort themselves out. As long as they are not starving then just let the nuc get on with things for a while.
E

Will have to sit on hands for a week although I was hoping to move the nuc this weekend and put it in new brood boxs, would this be possible? or should I wait till there is evidence of queen before moving

Wait until she is laying before moving is best.

Transfer it to a full box if it is congested but don't do it until later in the evening. Be very gentle (virgins are easily spooked), placing the frames in exactly the same positions as removed from the nuc.

RAB

Bees bringing pollen back now, checked hive and lots of brood, thanks all for advice.
didnt think beekeeping was so stressful.

Latest posts

Back